TN and Dual Citizen France-Canada

DimPér

Hi all,

First of all I wanted to say that this forum is great and wanted to thank all the people giving clear explanations!

So, here is my concern. I am a French and Canadian dual citizen but I have spent all my life in France so far. Now I am in the US as my wife is working there and I have finally found a job here. I am planning to work under the TN status and I am a bit worried about explaining my non-immigration intent. Indeed, my job will last 6 months, with a possibility of extension, my wife will be working in the US for at least 3 more years and as I said all my ties are in France so far.

Then here are my questions:

Would that be working if I say to CBP officer that I will go back to France instead of Canada at the end of my contract?

According to you, will have I a chance to be believed by the officer whereas my wife will be in the US for 3 more years?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

You will simply say that you will change your status to the same one you are on now, if/when you lose this job. What is your current status? H4? You will return to H4.

I doubt the question will even come up unless your wife is a US citizen. Yes as nelson says you would go back to H4 if currently an H4. But switching back and forth legally from one nonimmigrant status to another is highly unlikely to lead to questions about immigrant intent, so I don't see the question even coming up.