Time to get I-797 approval after approval notice

bobi30

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys

I got approval for H1B extenstion using premium process on 12/21.
My employer got the courtesy copy on 12/27. but my lawyer didn't get the orginal i-797 approval with new I-94.

Is it normal? Please let me know if you had similar situation?
Plesae advice I need to travel soon

Thanks

Hi bobi30,
Our case looks very similar to yours. My husband's company's immigration attorney had applied for our 7th year extension (H-1B for him and H4) for me on Oct 11. We received our approval notice on Nov 17. But we received the approval notice on "I-797C" form. The surprising thing is that the approval notice is very similar to an I-797A except that it has "I-797C Notice of Action" printed on the top right-hand corner.

Now from the info that we've gathered, it seems that consulates abroad accept only the original approval notice "I-797A" when you go for visa stamping. Our attorney is adamant that "I-797C" that we've received from him is the original approval notice and not a courtesy copy. He is insisting that we can use it for visa stamping also, as it has the new I-94 at the bottom.

We are very confused what to do.We have already scheduled appointment for visa stamping at Vancouver in March, and we realised this probem only a few days back:(

What did you do? Didn't your courtesy copy have I-94 at the bottom???

Please advise ASAP, as to how you proceeded in this matter.

Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
S

bk_sp said:
Hi bobi30,
Our case looks very similar to yours. My husband's company's immigration attorney had applied for our 7th year extension (H-1B for him and H4) for me on Oct 11. We received our approval notice on Nov 17. But we received the approval notice on "I-797C" form. The surprising thing is that the approval notice is very similar to an I-797A except that it has "I-797C Notice of Action" printed on the top right-hand corner.

Now from the info that we've gathered, it seems that consulates abroad accept only the original approval notice "I-797A" when you go for visa stamping. Our attorney is adamant that "I-797C" that we've received from him is the original approval notice and not a courtesy copy. He is insisting that we can use it for visa stamping also, as it has the new I-94 at the bottom.

We are very confused what to do.We have already scheduled appointment for visa stamping at Vancouver in March, and we realised this probem only a few days back:(

What did you do? Didn't your courtesy copy have I-94 at the bottom???

Please advise ASAP, as to how you proceeded in this matter.

Your response will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
S
Hello all,
I have a similar situation!!!!!!! I applied for h1 transfer visa on oct 24, 05 got receipt in one week, and my visa got approved on january 24th 06 and now my employer got the courtesy I797 approval form, but without I-94. My attorney has applied for duplicate I797 form to INS.
Please give some idea about, how much time will it take to get duplicate I797? from INS?
I still have valid H1B stamp & I94 from previous employer valid till Oct 06. Can I travel to India and back safe on basis of that IN MONTH OF MAY, 06? (I have to go to india in may, 06)?
Please reply ASAP if you can?
Anjali.