There are chances for an SB1 returning visa

securex

Hello everybody,

I come from germany and have my creen card since 2011.

- I was in the usa every year, sometimes twice
- there were no problems with the officer

My last flight in 2015 I could not compete because of an illness. I booked a new flight but could not take it because I was not healthy yet. Then I was about the 364/365 days.

- I made my tax every year
- I never had a residence in the States
- I have no family in the States

I wanted to emigrate completely at the end of this year and have also dissolved everything demonstrably (cell phone, apartment, etc.).

thank you

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

I come from germany and have my creen card since 2011.

- I was in the usa every year, sometimes twice
- there were no problems with the officer

My last flight in 2015 I could not compete because of an illness. I booked a new flight but could not take it because I was not healthy yet. Then I was about the 364/365 days.

- I made my tax every year
- I never had a residence in the States
- I have no family in the States

I wanted to emigrate completely at the end of this year and have also dissolved everything demonstrably (cell phone, apartment, etc.).

thank you

Hi Securex,

Please check out this website for more information on the SB1 request https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/returning-residents.html Make sure you have all the required documentation and it will all depend on the CO during the time of your interview. Best of luck to you and happy holidays.

If your card is still valid, you would have better chances with just going to the US and try to enter rather than applying for an SB-1 visa, which rarely get approved. If you go to the US and are denied entry and refuse to voluntarily relinquish permanent residency, they have to put you in removal proceedings, where you have a chance to convince the immigration judge that you didn't abandon residence. If you are denied an SB-1 visa, there is basically nothing you can do.

Thanks for the answers!

My lawyer says I should try to enter. But the officer sees that I was too long outside, right?

Are there good airports or does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks for the answers!

My lawyer says I should try to enter. But the officer sees that I was too long outside, right?

Are there good airports or does anyone have experience with it?

Hi Securex,

The officer will be aware of your time away and in the case you are denied entry, then you should follow the advise provided by newacct. I have been to a couple of airports in the U.S. and in my personal opinion, security checks are very similar and there is no passport with less security checks. It will all depend on the DHS officer.

Are you traveling as soon as possible after you got healthy? Take proof of this.

Essentially, you are no longer a permanent resident, so it is risky traveling on an invalid green card. But, they are right in saying that an SB-1 visa is hard to get, unless your illness was particularly bad. You really should have applied for a re-entry permit.

But, good luck at the border. There is still a chance this will work.