The USMLE Process for foreign graduates

elisha123

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am helping my sister-in-law, who is a Sri Lankan citizen and who graduated at a Russian university with her MD, gain all the information she needs to become qualified to practice medicine in the United States and eventually participate in the Phycisians waiver process. By the way, I am a US Citizen. I have read the information on the USMLE website for foreign MD. Should she pass the first stages of the exam, does she need to come to the US for the third stage? If so, would she need to obtain a student visa to participate in the exam? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have tried to research this information myself, but it seems a little difficult to understand, as I am outside the medical community.

elisha123 said:
Hello,

I am helping my sister-in-law, who is a Sri Lankan citizen and who graduated at a Russian university with her MD, gain all the information she needs to become qualified to practice medicine in the United States and eventually participate in the Phycisians waiver process. By the way, I am a US Citizen. I have read the information on the USMLE website for foreign MD. Should she pass the first stages of the exam, does she need to come to the US for the third stage? If so, would she need to obtain a student visa to participate in the exam? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have tried to research this information myself, but it seems a little difficult to understand, as I am outside the medical community.

anyone please give info, i also want my sister-in-law to come here, she had expereince in Saudi for 9 years and rightnow she is working in NZ
if anyone share about this info it will be very helpful for her

elisha123 said:
Hello,

I am not a doctor and am not anyway related to the profession. But I am able to pull the following links for you. They might be helpful. Check them out.

Courtesy hadron:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=138777

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=167276

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=164123

Apparently, "hadron" is the king of USMLE ring. He might be able to answer your questions. I would suggest that you send a private message and ask hadron questions by clicking on his User ID. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
> I am helping my sister-in-law, who is a Sri Lankan citizen and
> who graduated at a Russian university with her MD,

Talk about an interesting combination. The first thing she should make sure to have is to know the exact contact in her russian medical school for the US authorities to verify her credentials. I know of some folks who went to russian schools who had to go back to find the right person just to get some piece of paper stamped.

> gain all the information she needs to become qualified to practice
> medicine in the United States and eventually participate in the
> Phycisians waiver process.

Actually, the waiver process is sort of the last step in a long journey.

> By the way, I am a US Citizen.

The BEST thing you can do for her is to hook her up with a green-card before she even comes here. This can be through some friend who has a business and able to sponsor her as 'specialty cook sri lankan' or something like that. The biggest obstacle for FMG's is to get into a US residency. Chances are a lot better if you have permanent resident status.

> Should she pass the first stages of the exam, does she need to
> come to the US for the third stage?

USMLE step1: can be taken abroad, definitely in russia, probably in sri lanka

USMLE step2 ck: I believe can be taken abroad

USMLE step2 CS: this is sort of an oral exam with encounters with actor-patients. This has to be taken in the US (Phili, Atlanta, LA)

USMLE step3 : has to be taken in the US (many different cities)

> If so, would she need to obtain a student visa to participate in the exam?

B1/B2 visitors visa will do for the exam itself. Quite frequently, people take classes with e.g. the Kaplan company. This company can sponsor the FMG for a F1 student visa which gives her enough time to study, take the exams and interview for positions. The courses are fairly expensive, but if she can afford it it is better than mad dashes back and forth on the brief stays that a visitor visa allows.

> Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have tried to research this
> information myself, but it seems a little difficult to understand, as
> I am outside the medical community.

It is daunting.

One word of unsolicited advice:
Unless she can get a GC, she will need a visa to do her residency training. They come in two flavors: Good and Ugly

Good:
H1b temporary qualified worker. In order to be eligible for this visa, she will have to pass step3. Also, it costs some money and many hospitals are reluctant to sponsor a resident physician for it. It usually takes some armtwisting to get a hospital to sponsor an H1b.
Key advantage: If she marries a citizen or finds an employer to sponsor her for a GC she can go right ahead.

Ugly:
J1 exchange visitor visa. The upside is that most hospitals will sponsor this type of visa because it doesn't cost them a penny. The other 'advantage' is that you don't need step3. BUT, the BIG DISADVANTAGE is the fact that she will have to return to the last country she stayed in before coming to the US for two years. This is where the waiver process comes in. If you read around here you will notice how undesireable this is.

I wish her luck in this plan. If you guys have more questions, feel free to post them here.

USMLE Abroad

Finally some clarity! Thank you for your help! I have a couple more quick questions.

What is the timeline like for the USMLE process? From the start to finish, what is the time span of the tests?

This question somewhat unrelated to the subject. My husband will be eligible to apply for his citizenship in three years and we were wondering whether he could sponsor her for permanent residency after he is naturalized if she still in the country at that time. If she enters the US on a work visa, would she be eligible for a family adjustment once she is in the country? My concern would be she would have to go back home in order to then enter the United States on an immigrant visa.

> What is the timeline like for the USMLE process?
> From the start to finish, what is the time span of
> the tests?

It is a long time since I took it and they have added some exams but here are some rules of thumb (if someone has more recent knowledge, please please add it)

applying for step1/step2CK to becoming eligible: 2 months if there are no issues with the medical school.

scheduling step2CS: very variable. There are high and low times. In November you might get an appointment on short notice, in may it might be backed up by 3 months.

Results from step2CS have been delayed by up to 2months in the recent past.

then you have to wait for your ECFMG certificate to be issued which takes a few weeks.

then you can schedule step3 (recommended so you can get H1b). It depends on the medical board, but the easy ones don't take more than a couple of weeks.

I think one year A-Z is a generous estimate. Many people do this while they are holding a job in their home country and shuttle back and forth for the exams.

> This question somewhat unrelated to the subject.
> My husband will be eligible to apply for his citizenship
> in three years and we were wondering whether he
> could sponsor her for permanent residency after he
> is naturalized if she still in the country at that time.

VERY related question. Of course he can sponsor her, but the waiting times for siblings are ridiculous, something like 15 years. Your sister in law is far more likely to have her GC through some work related pathway before that.

> If she enters the US on a work visa, would she
> be eligible for a family adjustment once she is in
> the country?

Yes, but again, it would take something like 18 years for her to become eligible to apply for that.

> My concern would be she would have to go back
> home in order to then enter the United States on an
> immigrant visa.

No, she could apply from within the country as long as she maintains lawful status here.

BUT
here is the reason why your husband shouldn't file an I130 for her: The moment that is filed, she has expressed 'immigration intent'. This CAN cause problems with entering the US on a visitors student or exchange visitor visa.
There is nothing really to be gained from filing for a sibling, some politicians are actually looking into abolishing the sibling and adult childrens categories alltogether (and btw. they have my FULL support in this. I don't think the US has any benefits from importing adults without looking at their job credentials and their abilities to support themselves. I live in a city full of the adult children of puerto-rican cleaning ladies, many of them are peasants and have no lawful way to support themselves. At the same time, there are people pulling 500k a year as physicians who can't get a green-card if their life depended on it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Peurto ricans are american citizens at birth. they have the same rights as any natural born american citizens. they are not immigrants