• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The unborn child

sujath2012

Registered Users (C)
Visa issued date- October 10, 2013
Visa expire date - March 28, 2014
My baby's born date fixed by the Doctor on November last Week of 2013
We planned to go USA on January 1st Week of 2014

Dear forum mates,

Actually i have planned to go USA on January 2014;but my wife who is now pregnant is waiting to give birth child on coming November last week.

Actually i do not know what do in this regard. i expect your kind valuable advice on this, please.

(Do I need to pay immigration fee to our baby who will born on November last?
Do i need to prepare any further documents to our baby?)

To sujat
If I were u I would leave before the birth so that u will avoid all the
Administrative hassels that will occur after the baby's birth !
Now if u still planning on leaving january time . I will advice u to phone the ambassy
And find out directly from them about the procedure to take !
But I still think the first option is way far better and u child will
Have a us passport :)
All the best ;)

Well, it's getting very close to the time the wife will not be allowed to fly on an international route so I don't think that's a good option. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that babies under a certain age born after visa issuance can immigrate with the parents but hopefully someone with proper knowledge can chip in, although as per above post the best people to ask are the embassy rather than a forum.
Do ensure that you have everything lined up to apply for a passport for the baby as soon as s/he is born.

If I were u I would leave before the birth so that u will avoid all the
Administrative hassels that will occur after the baby's birth !
I'm sure he has no health insurance when he arrives. Means not a good idea to give birth in the U.S.

Well, it's getting very close to the time the wife will not be allowed to fly on an international route so I don't think that's a good option. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that babies under a certain age born after visa issuance can immigrate with the parents but hopefully someone with proper knowledge can chip in, although as per above post the best people to ask are the embassy rather than a forum.
Do ensure that you have everything lined up to apply for a passport for the baby as soon as s/he is born.

Thanks susieQQQ,
your correct its very close so that not allowed to fly, yes its best way to contact the Embassy but they did not response for a day but I am waiting for their response soon,
and DV2013 have finished so that is this possible to issue a visa to our unborn child later?

Guys,
Have anybody got same experience before?, I highly appreciated for your replies.

regards,
KM Sujath

As SusieQQQ said there is a process to allow a child under 2 years old entry into the country. I believe you do that upon entry BUT airlines may not know the rules and refuse boarding for the baby. I believe Sm1smom may have some additional detail on this, so just hang on a few hours and hopefully she will have something to add.

Obviously you need to get paperwork for the child asap - so apply as soon as you can for the birth certificate and passport.

9 FAM 42.1 N1.1 Child Born After Issuance of Visa to
Parent
(CT:VISA-1829; 04-18-2012)
The child born after the issuance of a visa to a parent is not required to have a
visa if the child is:
(1) Born subsequent to issuance of an IV to the accompanying parent within
the validity of the parent’s immigrant visa;
or
(2) Born during the permanent resident mother’s temporary visit abroad
provided that (see 9 FAM 42.1 N2):
(a) Admission is within two years of birth; and
(b) Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first
return after the birth of the child.

Sujath,

Like most of the previous reponses have indicated, you don't need a visa to bring in your baby according to:

9 FAM 42.1 N1.1 Child Born After Issuance of Visa to Parent
The child born after the issuance of a visa to a parent is not required to have a visa if the child is:
(1) Born subsequent to issuance of an IV to the accompanying parent within the validity of the parent’s immigrant visa; or

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

However, because most airline agents are not aware of this, they may not allow you to board with the baby if you and your wife simply show up with your visas and without anything for the baby. So, you need to contact the US embassy/consulate in your home country once your wife gives birth (and you've gathered the baby's documents - birth certificate, passport, etc). You could request the embassy to issue a "Transportation Letter" which will be presented to the airline agents. (Some people are of the opinion that a transportation letter is not required in a situation like this). Whatever the case, the embassy should be able to guide and issue whatever the appropriate document is.

In addition to whatever the embassy issues, I suggest you print out the 1st page of the document I referenced above and have it handy when you go to the airport. You will need to have with you at the POE the baby's passport, medical records, and 2 passport photos (have copies and original handy), these will be used to process the baby for his/her GC. Be aware though that the mother has to be with you too. If only the father and the shows up, the baby will not be processed.

Thanks a lot sm1smom, this was I expected, I will contact the embassy as soon as after the birth of my baby
Sujath,

Like most of the previous reponses have indicated, you don't need a visa to bring in your baby according to:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

However, because most airline agents are not aware of this, they may not allow you to board with the baby if you and your wife simply show up with your visas and without anything for the baby. So, you need to contact the US embassy/consulate in your home country once your wife gives birth (and you've gathered the baby's documents - birth certificate, passport, etc). You could request the embassy to issue a "Transportation Letter" which will be presented to the airline agents. (Some people are of the opinion that a transportation letter is not required in a situation like this). Whatever the case, the embassy should be able to guide and issue whatever the appropriate document is.

In addition to whatever the embassy issues, I suggest you print out the 1st page of the document I referenced above and have it handy when you go to the airport. You will need to have with you at the POE the baby's passport, medical records, and 2 passport photos (have copies and original handy), these will be used to process the baby for his/her GC. Be aware though that the mother has to be with you too. If only the father and the shows up, the baby will not be processed.

Brits simon ur the man I feel now better for sujath :)
I would like to thank u for u effort and ur effiency ;)

Crikey, be careful Sm1smom came up with the accurate info - I wouldn't like to try and claim all the credit - we've seen how that goes...

:mad: :mad: Yeah, Simon, go ahead take all the credit..... :mad:simon this, simon that, simon says :confused::confused: ......... you 'glory hugging', thunder stealing .......blah blah blah

:cool:

No, hey, I was one who first posted that he could take the baby! Just because you gave him more details don't take all the credit! [/temper tantrum]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you read my mind and stole my thoughts, so you can't share in the credit either
*pouting*

hey guys.....valadak, susieQQQ,tazmania,britsimon & Sm1smom you all are really great peoples.... thank you so much to you all.

LOL

You guys crack me up! :)

PS: You better check other threads though in case somebody else has already answered this question, and you are fighting over the credit here :)

Well, you read my mind and stole my thoughts, so you can't share in the credit either
*pouting*