• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The Future of the DV

AFP2014

Haven't found a clear answer through my own searches. Is the future of the lottery set for the immediate future, or at least for the next few years, or are we looking at it being a topic of debate year by year and yanked at a moments notice?

How much notice would they give before it was all over?

I see lots of talk of the end. Some people obviously don't want this thing around.

Is that all it is, people talking about the end, but nothing for certain and they can't agree on what to do next, so it stays by default?

Does someone with more knowledge think the end is near? Has there been a death knell and I missed it?

Do we know for certain there will be a DV 2017? How about a 2018... 19... 20..?

Haven't found a clear answer through my own searches. Is the future of the lottery set for the immediate future, or at least for the next few years, or are we looking at it being a topic of debate year by year and yanked at a moments notice?

How much notice would they give before it was all over?

I see lots of talk of the end. Some people obviously don't want this thing around.

Is that all it is, people talking about the end, but nothing for certain and they can't agree on what to do next, so it stays by default?

Does someone with more knowledge think the end is near? Has there been a death knell and I missed it?

Do we know for certain there will be a DV 2017? How about a 2018... 19... 20..?

It will stop as part of immigration reforms that have been proposed. However, stopping it cannot happen overnight, as there is only a small window of time to cancel it each year (by not announcing the next lottery). That will give us plenty of notice. For example, the entry period for DV2017 will be announced in September and start in October. That lottery period will be active until October 2017 - i.e. there is a long lead time. The earliest I can imagine them passing the reforms is some time after the next election - so that would be in 2017. That means DV2017 and DV2018 is safe. After that it gets uncertain.

A little history:

In March 2007, Congressman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) introduced H.R. 1430, which would eliminate the diversity visa program. In June 2007, the U.S. House passed H.R. 2764 to eliminate funding for the program, and the Senate did likewise in September. However, the final version of this bill with amendments, signed into law on December 26, 2007, did not include the removal of funds for the program. Several attempts have been made over the last several years to eliminate the lottery. Although H.R. 2764 was an appropriation bill and could only cut funds for the lottery during one fiscal year, this was the first time that both the House and the Senate passed a bill to halt the diversity visa program. H.R. 2764

Rep. Goodlatte reintroduced his Security and Fairness Enhancement for America Act (formerly H.R. 1430, now H.R. 2305) on May 7, 2009. The bill would have amended the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program completely, but did not pass.

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) introduced the Save America Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2009 (H.R. 264) on January 7, 2009. The bill would have doubled the number of diversity visas available to 110,000 yearly. The bill did not pass.

If it had passed, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 would have abolished the program in fiscal year 2015.

A comprehensive analysis of DV lottery issues has been prepared by Congressional Research Service.

here's the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

A little history:

In March 2007, Congressman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) introduced H.R. 1430, which would eliminate the diversity visa program. In June 2007, the U.S. House passed H.R. 2764 to eliminate funding for the program, and the Senate did likewise in September. However, the final version of this bill with amendments, signed into law on December 26, 2007, did not include the removal of funds for the program. Several attempts have been made over the last several years to eliminate the lottery. Although H.R. 2764 was an appropriation bill and could only cut funds for the lottery during one fiscal year, this was the first time that both the House and the Senate passed a bill to halt the diversity visa program. H.R. 2764

Rep. Goodlatte reintroduced his Security and Fairness Enhancement for America Act (formerly H.R. 1430, now H.R. 2305) on May 7, 2009. The bill would have amended the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the diversity immigrant program completely, but did not pass.

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) introduced the Save America Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2009 (H.R. 264) on January 7, 2009. The bill would have doubled the number of diversity visas available to 110,000 yearly. The bill did not pass.

If it had passed, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 would have abolished the program in fiscal year 2015.

A comprehensive analysis of DV lottery issues has been prepared by Congressional Research Service.

here's the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

Thanks Farida, I had seen all that, and more. Which is why I was getting confused as to what was what and where it all was going, and even if the latest reforms actually meant anything in the end. I hope you are right, and it is around for a while. In my experience though, Britsimon knows his stuff, so fingers crossed for the next 2. Good luck with your interview.

It will stop as part of immigration reforms that have been proposed. However, stopping it cannot happen overnight, as there is only a small window of time to cancel it each year (by not announcing the next lottery). That will give us plenty of notice. For example, the entry period for DV2017 will be announced in September and start in October. That lottery period will be active until October 2017 - i.e. there is a long lead time. The earliest I can imagine them passing the reforms is some time after the next election - so that would be in 2017. That means DV2017 and DV2018 is safe. After that it gets uncertain.

Thanks Britsimon. I was hoping to get your take on it.