• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Dear all,

First of all I would like to sorry if these questions were asked before.

I am a winner of the "Diversity Visa Lottery 2014". I entered the U.S. on the beginning of Jan., 2015. I have not yet received the plastic "green card", however my case is "in process". After a few days I would like to visit my home country. Thus, I will leave the U.S. without the plastic card. I know that the immigrant visa, stamped at a POE, should be fine to re-enter the U.S. However, I would like to ask you if I have to inform USCIS about my physical address abroad? If yes, how to do that?

We know that, if you are a LPR, you are "required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities". Do I have to declare my incomes and file a form about the income tax returns during the period Jan. 1, 2014 - Dec. 31, 2014, if I became a LPR on the 1st of Jan., 2015 or later?

Last edited:
Dear all,

First of all I would like to sorry if these questions were asked before.

I am a winner of the "Diversity Visa Lottery 2014". I entered the U.S. on the beginning of Jan., 2015. I have not yet received the plastic "green card", however my case is "in process". After a few days I would like to visit my home country. Thus, I will leave the U.S. without the plastic card. I know that the immigrant visa, stamped at a POE, should be fine to re-enter the U.S. However, I would like to ask you if I have to inform USCIS about my physical address abroad? If yes, how to do that?

We know that, if you are a LPR, you are "required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities". Do I have to declare my incomes and file a form about the income tax returns during the period Jan. 1, 2014 - Dec. 31, 2014, if I became a LPR on the 1st of Jan., 2015 or later?

I believe they want change of address within the USA. When you leave you are not their concern. However, you are obliged to inform them within 10 days once you are back if you then reside at a different location.

http://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Regarding tax year - if you entered in 2015 then your first tax report will be due in 2016.

hey, i dont know if i should post it here but i think i should because people who have moved to usa can answer this for me. well. i would like to know if i would be allowed to go to other states other than the address mentioned on the ds-260 (which is the same address on my sponsor letter). the letter says i would stay with the sponsor family blah blah. so do i have to go to that state? or can i enter usa in other states and live in other states? if so, whats the process considering i get the visa.

No it's not the correct thread and the question has been asked and answered numerous times. The U.S. is not a police state. Once you have an immigrant visa you can go to any of the 50 states you choose.

No it's not the correct thread and the question has been asked and answered numerous times. The U.S. is not a police state. Once you have an immigrant visa you can go to any of the 50 states you choose.

Im sorry i didnt know its been asked before. But what if they ask me at the immigration like "hey man, u said u were going to live with xxx in state yyy. whats your business being here in state zzz?' so basically, im allowed to enter the us from any state and live in the state as long as i like right? i mean i wont have to go to the mentioned address before right? since my gc is going there and all.

Hello,

I am an older member of this forum and helped me and my wife a lot after we found out we won at the DV Lottery. My wife ( Andreea Seciu) actually was more active during that time. We won in Romania in 2013 and in 27 September 2014 we landed on American land, in Philadelphia. We have a friend that was in US for 10 years and he helped us a lot and he is still helping us. Because this forum helped us a lot I made a promise that I will do my best to help other after I arrive here. With that in mind we decided to start a blog where we post our experience in US as a DV Lottery Visa. We are writing only about things that we actually live or experienced. The blog is not for commercial purpose in case anyone suspect us of free publicity. For the English version you have to scroll down the page ( first is the Romanian version). If you have any question we will answer them gladly.

Thank you.

you can use this link http://anewlifeinus.blogspot.com/

Hello,

I am an older member of this forum and helped me and my wife a lot after we found out we won at the DV Lottery. My wife ( Andreea Seciu) actually was more active during that time. We won in Romania in 2013 and in 27 September 2014 we landed on American land, in Philadelphia. We have a friend that was in US for 10 years and he helped us a lot and he is still helping us. Because this forum helped us a lot I made a promise that I will do my best to help other after I arrive here. With that in mind we decided to start a blog where we post our experience in US as a DV Lottery Visa. We are writing only about things that we actually live or experienced. The blog is not for commercial purpose in case anyone suspect us of free publicity. For the English version you have to scroll down the page ( first is the Romanian version). If you have any question we will answer them gladly.

Thank you.

you can use this link http://anewlifeinus.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing this!

I have an inquiry about naturalization.
If one gets naturalized, does this qualify kids below teenage or they have to wait for their time?
Any ideas?

I have an inquiry about naturalization.
If one gets naturalized, does this qualify kids below teenage or they have to wait for their time?
Any ideas?

With respect, the first hit on a Google search for "naturalize child US" gives you the answer very clearly...

With respect, the first hit on a Google search for "naturalize child US" gives you the answer very clearly...
Thanks Susie, could be I have been reading too much about it that I forgot to check the basics, will start afresh

The USCIS manual is consistent with general expectations of a child gaining automatic citizenship.
I recall reading somewhere I. this forum a bout a lady who had a applied for the DVD program and the mother is a us citizen. Maybe I din't read it too keenly.

The USCIS manual is consistent with general expectations of a child gaining automatic citizenship.
I recall reading somewhere I. this forum a bout a lady who had a applied for the DVD program and the mother is a us citizen. Maybe I din't read it too keenly.

The child has to be living in the US to get citizenship after birth but before 18 through a parent. It is explained in the USCIS info.
For who you read, some options are she was not in US, or parent became citizen after she was 18.

Not sure this was explained before in some other thread but I need to know whether shots (immunizations) for infants are offered free at any (or selected) health center in USA. If not, does the child need to have health insurance of his own or my job health insurance can cover him (I´ve heard the latter option even for jobless spouse).

Not sure this was explained before in some other thread but I need to know whether shots (immunizations) for infants are offered free at any (or selected) health center in USA. If not, does the child need to have health insurance of his own or my job health insurance can cover him (I´ve heard the latter option even for jobless spouse).

The Department of Health/Public Health Services offer immunization shots at no cost or low cost to both children and adults alike. So Google for the applicable Public Health Service department where you are. But bear in mind that this does not replace the regular insurance you're supposed to to have. Your work insurance will cover your spouse and child(ren) unless of course you opt to not cover them as your derivative in which case you will still have to get them their own insurance coverage - an option which doesn't make sense for anyone to choose.