1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by SusieQQQ, Oct 13, 2014.

1. saabe

saabe Member

Yes I know,...the final decision is his. Actually, I am the one advising him to take his time to weigh the pros and cons and base his decision on a series of well-informed factors. At first he told me he was 90% sure he wasn't willing to go any further with the process , after that he told me he was now like 50/50%,...I told him to wait until September and not send DS260 form until he's 100% sure. Meanwhile he could gather as much info as possible, so his decision would be based on rational considerations, not impulses. And yes, I already warned him it wouldn't be easy, but the reward will be worth it. Now he has to consider if he's ready to suffer one more time for a bigger reward or he prefers stability.

2. dimster

dimster New Member

Just a general question. How hard to get a home loan in US? and what are the best banks to try my luck with? I am planing to put large down payment and employment is from my current employer. Which we have presence in USA.

Thanks in advance.

3. guestgulkan

guestgulkan Well-Known Member

Hey @SusieQQQ I have a very important question.

Do you have any recommended Biltong suppliers?

4. SusieQQQ

SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

Legal, you mean? (ie not the guys who smuggle it across the border...) Nope, sorry, a friend of ours makes it for us. There are some South African shops online that you could try, but I've not used any of them so can't recommend personally.

5. guestgulkan

guestgulkan Well-Known Member

Thanks - I'll try online. Should be interesting.

6. SusieQQQ

guestgulkan likes this.
  7. leawe

leawe Member

hi all,

it's been more than 3 weeks and till now i have received neither my GC or SSN

for the GC i've checked online and its mention produced and mailed in 30-june

but for the SSN i cant find any online way to contact or get updated.... all i found is a number and every time im calling im just waiting in line for more than 30 min with no answer..!!

is there any way to check or ask about the SSN status?

8. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

You need to pay a visit to your nearest SSA office to follow up on your SSN.

9. leawe

leawe Member

i would do that if im in US...but im outside and looking for alternate solution

10. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

That's your only solution. Since you're not in the US at the moment, the SSN is of no use to you anyways.

11. leawe

leawe Member

u r right i wont needed here... but im applying for jobs and start getting emails to send my updated resume
    i was reading usually they are asking to send the SSN ... so i just wanna be ready

12. SusieQQQ

No, they do NOT usually ask you for your SSN during a job hunt and you should never put it on a resume. If you are made a job offer however they will need it to check you are allowed to work. You should be careful who you hand your SSN to.

13. leawe

leawe Member

yea im aware of that susie.... just if we come to a final agreement for offer letter and i dont have it i mught lose a chance

14. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

Again the only solution is a personal visit to the SSA office. If the SSN hasn't shown up by now, it means there's no application in the system for and you need to put in one on your own.

And anyway regarding coming to an agreement with a potential employer, they most likely wouldn't be making you an offer without a face to face interview, the SSN isn't going to be required at that stage.

15. leawe

leawe Member

thanks @Sm1smom its quite clear for me now

16. Precious1960

Precious1960 Member

"I have been the USA since February, 2016. I went back in December to marry my Fiancee and applied for the i-130 in February 2017. The process is on-going. But I was planning of inviting her here in December for our First anniversary. I do not know how possible that will be or if that will delay the initial process. I need help." - For a friend

Guriix likes this.
  17. Guriix

Guriix Registered Users (C)

With a pending petition it's always hard yup convince the consular officer that you'll go back to your country at the end of the visit. My wife, then girlfriend was allowed to visit but we had not filed the I-130 at time of interview

Precious1960 likes this.
  18. Precious1960

Precious1960 Member

How long did it take for your wife to get the i-130 approved?

19. SusieQQQ

20. Quiwi

Quiwi New Member

Well it's a sad day, but I have decided to officially give up my Greencard and move back to my home country.
    I have been here since the middle of March and after trying so hard, have been unable to obtain a job.

It hasn't been a pleasant experience, but I think I can at least say I tried to live my dream and it just didn't work out.

I just wish the GC wouldn't have been such a waste :(