Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

UncleG

Hello,

I am a Syrian citizen staying in the US on TPS. if I was offered a permanent residence in another country (like Canada), would that cause me to lose my TPS?

I got different opinions, since the USCIS website designated for TPS mentions that for someone to be eligible for TPS, he must be of Syrian nationality, but nothing was mentioned regarding permanent residence/citizenship in other countries.

Thank you

Well, by obtaining your PR in Canada you have demonstrated that you really intend to live there, rather than here. So while you will not lose your TPS in the meantime, at some point you will need to move to Canada to maintain your status there and at that point you will lose it (because the US and Canada share a lot of information on immigrants).

Well, by obtaining your PR in Canada you have demonstrated that you really intend to live there, rather than here. So while you will not lose your TPS in the meantime, at some point you will need to move to Canada to maintain your status there and at that point you will lose it (because the US and Canada share a lot of information on immigrants).

True, plan is to stay here in the States for 3 years until I am done with my residency in medicine then move to Canada. If only could someone guarantee that I won't lose my TPS after landing in Canada. (i have to land before Feb 28, like 20 days from now)

del0175, are you sure that I can maintain my TPS after landing? if not, who can I speak to to confirm?

I appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, what is going to happen is that in order for you to land in Canada (in other words, leave the US and be able to return), you will need the so-called Advanced Parole approval through USCIS Form I131 and will need to disclose the purpose of your travel (remember that lying is not an option not only because it is a serious crime but this approval is only granted for genuinely important reasons -- so you couldn't say that you are taking a vacation to Canada) and when you declare that you are going to accept PR in Canada, your status is in trouble (it is likely that the Canadians will also share that info with the US and in any case when you re enter the US, the border patrol officer will ask why you went there and will notice that you have "landed" in Canada, which means that you will be sent right back to Canada and may even be barred from entry into the US). The TPS program is only for those individuals who are in real need and you are not. If you have PR in Canada, honestly, you don't deserve TPS by the US. It is a humanitarian program and meant for people genuinely in trouble. It is time for you to start a new life in Canada because you should not jeopardize a guaranteed future for a chance to become a legal resident in the US. My advice would be to move to Canada and see how you transfer your residency experience there. It is time to pick.

Realistic argument, del0175. Fact is, US is much more international medical graduates friendly than Canada. while 4000 physicians in the province of Ontario alone are not employed and not allowed to practice, I am 4 months away from my residency in internal medicine here in the States.

Anyway, thank you so much del0175