TD Visa for Non-Canadian Spouse

iooi

I am Canadian Citizen and work on TN status. I want to apply TD status for my wife who is Non-Canadian. My TN is expiring in few months, should I get new TN then apply for TD or Is it ok to apply TD on my current TN.

I am Canadian Citizen and work on TN status. I want to apply TD status for my wife who is Non-Canadian. My TN is expiring in few months, should I get new TN then apply for TD or Is it ok to apply TD on my current TN.

Your wife is in USA or out of USA now? If she is already in USA with valid TD I94, then, once you get your new TN, you can apply for her TD extension within US by sending I-539 to USCIS.

If she is outside of USA, then, she needs a consular TD visa stamp on her passport, and then, while entering US through one of the borders/airport, she can get her TD I94 there.

My wife is in outside USA so I will be appling for TD at US Embassy/Consulate. Do you know how long does the TD process take?

Last edited:
My wife is in outside USA so I will be appling for TD at US Embassy/Consulate. Do you know how long does the TD process take?
The timelines will be in the US consulate website for Pakistan. You can check that and plan accordingly

When she applies (wherever, if she has legal status in Canada she could apply at a consulate there), there will be a timeline. Others can help you find it.

Your question however is whether she should apply now, or later. If she applies now, the TD visa will only be valid for a few months. If she waits until you have new 3-year TN, then her visa will be good for 3 years.

So it depends on how soon you want her to be with you in US, and how much she will want to travel after the shorter TD would expire.