TD student at US university

birgit

Registered Users (C)
I'm a TN, my daughter received a full tuition scholarship for US university (qualified as an in-state resident). The problem is we can't register her as an international student or we risk losing the scholarship so no F visa with work authorization. Any ideas about how a TD student can work while going to school in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to weigh the benefit of full tuition paid, vs. a higher tuition and the ability to earn money and -- more importantly perhaps -- experience during her school years.

What kind of figures are we talking about? Resident tuition vs. foreign tuition.

Of couse if declring herself F means she loses the scholarship entirely, that is a non-starter.

I was wondering if she could possibly qualify for a J visa in the summer. You're right Nelson we wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her scholarship. It's worth $50,000. She'll have to spend summers in Canada!

A local resort advertising for canadian students as camp counselors. But is she a canadian student? We're only here temporarily so I would think so but I won't know until she applies. Her scholarship could interfere with that. It was a huge mistake not having permanent status by the time the kids were college age.

One complication is that a J alien needs to have an unabandoned foreign residence, which your children don't seem to have.

I'd focus less on methods to allow them to get a few low wage jobs and more on the scholarship and permanent residence.

... if she is starting college, there is also the eventual 'aging out' risk if you haven't started GC before she is 21.

You don't want her getting on the TN treadmill along with you, do you?

Just anotherthing to consider: If you lose your job (and thus your TN status) exactly what is your daughter to do then.

If that doesn't make you storm into our boss's office demanding a GC, I don't know what will.

How long have you been temping as a TN?

another thing to consider:

What if you lose this job and thus your TN (or H1 -- how did that process go for you?) and her TD/H4 status. What then?

If that doesn't get you storming into boss's office demanding GC, I don't know what will.

My husband and I have had so many visa ups and downs for the last 10 years. The stupid thing was not going straight back to Canada when the company that transferred him on an L-1 closed and our GC process went with it. We have both been on TNs ever since. His was denied this year and I just received a 3 year extension after a nerve wracking RFE delay. My company is sponsoring me - we just filed for PERM.

As far as daughter goes, I have US family who could become her guardian if necessary. Again, we don't want to lose the scholarship because we are not entitled to federal/state loans. We do have a beautiful house for sale if anyone is interested!