TD status and I-130

nruneel

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am working on a TN permit and my wife is on TD . Last year my wife's parents filled I-130 for her. Now we planning to have a trip outside of USA.Does it creat any entry problem for her at border/airport while coming back to USA?

Thanks in advance

Nruneel

It can. Technically, by having an I-130 filed on her behalf, there is a (small) measure of immigrant intent being displayed by your spouse. Such intent could be considered enough to have her refused entry in any status other than H or L, even tourist. But typically, since the chances that she will benefit from this I-130 are next to impossible (it will be at least 7 or 8 years before her case will can get GC) CBP let's these things go -- although they are not required to. Each crossing or renewal could see her denied entry. and if she is not Cdn, getting a consular visa may also be problematic.

Was there a particular reason why your in-laws made rather pointless , and in her case, harmful petition?

Thanks Nelsona,

I found one letter and attached herwith from CBP. Though it talks about I-140, can't we conclude the same for I-130?

What do you think?

We are all familiar with the exception granted for I-140 filings. It is however just that -- an exception to the presumed immigrant intent raised by filing an immigrant petition, like I-130, I-140 and I-485.

While the letter does seem to extend this to I-130, the letter mentions that such person "could" be admitted -- or could not. That is a lot of 'could nots' over the next 10 years.

Again, what were your in-laws thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Nelsona, My in law's thaught eventhough it will take 7-8 years, afterthat she can get GC. They were not in hurry since they thought my wife is already in US.

but they didn't look it from of entry/exit point

By the way my wife is canadian too.

By the way my wife is canadian too.
Well at least she won't have to deal with consulates.

It just takes one CBP officer, and after that each entry will be a nightmare.

Note, that this doesn't impact your status, just hers.

I'd seriously consider having parents cancel the I-130. It really doesn't help her. You'd both be better off finding an employer to sponsor either of you for GC or at least H1 status.