1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform 2015.

    What does it mean? Listen to video discussions by Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna on Immigration.com YouTube Channel. Subscribe to Our YouTube channel to be notified when new updates are posted.

Tax Account Transcript or Tax Return Transcript?

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by rxonyc, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. rxonyc

    rxonyc Registered Users (C)

    Hi everyone, we are working on CR1 visa for my husband and having this minor question regarding tax transcript.
    We both understand the fact that we are supposed to bring tax transcripts as affidavit support evidence and the differences between tax account transcript and tax return transcript.
    The question is: which one should we bring? account transcript (less pages with basic info.) or tax return transcript (more pages with more details)? or either one is OK?
    We already have account transcripts in hand, just want to make sure if it's necessary for us to get tax return transcript as well.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Al Southner

    Al Southner Registered Users (C)

    You should bring the tax transcript. You can tall the IRS line and have them faxed to you, provided it is a personal fax only accessible to you for privacy and confidentiality. I am not sure where you got the account transcript, I would be concerned with an official transcript from IRS. best wishes to you.
  3. rxonyc

    rxonyc Registered Users (C)

    Hi Al, thanks for your reply. To clarify, we got account transcripts from local IRS office(walk-in services) by telling them it's for immigration application. In this case, I suppose it is official transcript from IRS. I've been told about tax transcripts all the time, but there are really two kinds of tax transcripts:tax account transcript and tax return transcripts. IRS explains the differences pretty clear as well (see this link - http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105370,00.html ). But I'm just not sure if it does matter to bring THE VERY one out of two or it really doesn't matter which as long as it shows adjusted gross income and stuff for affidavit support purposes.
  4. Al Southner

    Al Southner Registered Users (C)

    Did you pay for the tax account transcript or they were free? You should take the tax transcript from the IRS office, they should suffice in meeting USCIS requirements, especially for period being requested.
  5. rxonyc

    rxonyc Registered Users (C)

    No. the tax account transcripts are free. So when you say tax transcript, you actually mean "tax return transcript" right?
    Again, thanks for your reply:)
  6. rxonyc

    rxonyc Registered Users (C)

    hi, whoever's confused as I was, FYI, I got an offical answer for this topic: tax return transcript is essential in this case. So I believe what they really ask for is Tax Return Transcript instead of tax account transcript. We lived oversea so we emailed our local embassy.

    NEWFILER Registered Users (C)

    I guess it means( please correct me if it something else is found links)--
    a)Copy of the tax return.In this case I believe it is just copy of the return you submitted to IRS.Some online submission allows to get saved copy while submitting.
    or if it is not available
    b)Official tax return transcript sent from IRS(normally IRS sends your tax transcript on request)with an official -computer generated enclosed letter too.

Share This Page