Taking children to oath ceremony

packer_fan

Registered Users (C)
I received my oath letter and it is slated for Apr 26th. I would like to know if we can take our two children (7 Years and 18 months) to the oath ceremony. Both me and my wife have the oath on the same day. We do not have any guests going with us to the oath ceremony.

Will they administer the oath to everyone at the same time or in batches? I am just trying to see if me and my wife can take turns to watch the kids while one of us takes the oath?

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar situation. I would welcome any advice/suggestions.

Thanks,
Packer_fan

NSC/Milwaukee DO
RD Nov 18th 2005
FP Done Jan 24th 2006
Interview Done March 20th, 2006
Oath Date April 26th, 2006

Packer,

call you local courthouse where you will have your oath .. there will be a person in charge you can talk to and receive specific information about your oath ceremony.
We are in a similar situation and I was told that the new citizens will be 'up front' in a special row in the courtroom, usually without their children. Our court would allow the children up front with both parents if it has to be .... I was told that "99%" of time of the oath appointment we'll be with our children anyway. In your case your 7 year old would be able to sit back (close) by himself and you'd just carry your 18 month old child if you have no other choice.
We'll have our oath next week .. I could let you know how it went for us.

In general I think that family and friends are very welcome, that's at least what I heard from our court.

Alex.

like Alexanderthegreat said , call your local court house , they all have diff rulz ...
in nevada children under 10 are sent to a diff room wich is attached to the main room where you take your oath or call your local INS , they can help you on that if u have their number
Good luck , and dont worry to much its almost over :p

Thanks AlexanderG and clisp. I will call the Milwaukee court house and check with them.

Thanks,
Packer_fan

Based on my personal experience with a nearly 4 year old is that you should try to find care for them and NOT take them to the cerimony. Frankly if it's like mine the cerimony is nothing special to be at - yeah, you're becoming a citizen, but there's no fireworks or anything! :) Kids will find it incredibly long and boring. Our cerimony lasted almost 2 hours and our 3 year old was getting very restless as they have you sitting all the time with very little room to play. In my cerimony they were also very rude to people there with kids - one of the security officers came into the oath room while we were all waiting and informed us that if our kids got "unruly" we would be asked to leave and would have to do the oath at another time! That's customer service for you!

Congrat on the oath by the way!

Cheers,
Brian

packer_fan said:
Thanks AlexanderG and clisp. I will call the Milwaukee court house and check with them.

Thanks,
Packer_fan

Thanks for the useful tips, Brian. My little one is not used to a baby sitter as my wife is a homemaker. I was really toying with the idea of leaving him with a babysitter. The only problem is that I have my oath at 8:00 AM and I have to drive 2.5 hrs to reach the courthouse which means that I have to leave home at 5:30 AM which will be too early to leave my child with the babysitter.

AlexanderG,
Thanks a ton for offering to share your experience on oath day. That will be a great help. Please let me now how it went. I hope you have an easy time.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as me and my wife are really looking for some direction.

Regards,

Just take the kids.....

This is a free country and you are allowed to bring your people and most of all the people are so nice to kids. Have you not felt it all these years staying in this country. I dont know where you come from but I have noticed a great difference in this country. People go with month old kids or even week old kids. I dont see any issue at all. As long as you can hold the kid in one hand , stand up and raise your right hand , you should be OK. If some states dont do it they will provide a way which is better than , no one will be sent home if thats what you are afraid of. Kids are the apple of our eye. I really appreciate your concern of leaving behind your kids. It costs money (mind you there are lot of people below poverty line that want to be citezens too) and for some it is peace of mind. Take them with you. I do for everything.

Just on a personal note.....please start to stand up for your rights. Act like you are in free country. Otherwise all the answers that you made for the 100 questions is a waste of time. The words "Live Free or Die," written by General John Stark, July 31, 1809 is the motto of NH. I feel this whole country respects those remarks. All the valiant soldiers that go to these far of places to fight are defending this sacred right of ours.

Have a memorable Oath and take lots of pictures......I am very happy for you all..... :)

They are your children!

It depends all on you!

Are you a thin or thick skinned?

It is your call, make up your mind! :mad:

Maryvams,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I may in fact end up taking my kids to the ceremony.

MoeCurly,
There is no reason for you to get upset!! I had a genuine question and just needed some direction. Please stop being rude and don't waste your time posting such junk which does not help anyone.

Milwaukee Oath Ceremony

Packer_fan,

I left my 2 kids at day care the day of the ceremony in Milwaukee, my oath was the second one at 10:00 am. A previous ceremony was at 9:00 am. When I got there at 9:45 am I found all kind of people waiting around for the first ceremony to be finished. Some people had kids along, not many. After waiting in line for 30 minutes I entered the court room and sat in front. My wife she sat in the back of the room as a guest, she was able to seat as soon as the court room cleared. The court house was divided in 2 sections, the "new" citizens in front and their families in the back. My suggestions is that if you bring your kids have a family member or a friend that can watch your kids. Before the judge entered the court room, a clerk specifically said that if a kid got to loud or unruly he/she should be taken out of the room. The all ceremony lasted about 2 hours including the waiting period.

Ciao

Fabio