1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

switch my B1/B2 visa to student visa

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by petra1234, Apr 7, 2012.

1. petra1234

petra1234 New Member

hi everyone !

my friend in USA on B1/B2 visa entered USA on oct 1st 2011 , and his visa valid till 2015 ! Now he decided to study here and change his visa to student ?

HE suppose to extend his stay last week but he didnt do it . so the six months are already up ! you think they will be any issue with that ?

thank you for your help !
  2. Jackolantern

Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

They are very restrictive with changes of status from B1/B2 to F1, and changing to F1 status (or any other nonimmigrant status) is not allowed unless the change of status was filed before the previous status expired. His B1/B2 status has expired and the visa is invalidated due to the overstay, so he is not eligible for a change of status. He must leave the US and apply at a consulate for the F1 visa.
  3. petra1234

petra1234 New Member

thank you jackolantern for you INFO !
  4. VisaNutz

VisaNutz Registered Users (C)

Your friend is just collecting out-of-status time everyday..
  5. Triple Citizen

Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

Yes. He is already an overstayer now. He needs to depart the US as soon as he can. Ideally before he accrus 180 days of overstay!!!

6. Triple Citizen

Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

Just an observation. This thread's topic says "Switch my B1/B2....", though the first post starts off with "my friend in USA...."?