switch from J-1 to J-2

fbharat2

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am in US since Oct 2007 on J-1 visa. I am subjected to two year home rule requirement. I haven't got my waivers either. My DS2019 is going to expire on 30th June 2010. I am not getting any extension. neither I found a job to transfer my J-1. Fortunately, my husband came to US in March 2010 on a J-1 visa. My first question is Can i switch to J-2 within US? What would be the best time to do? If i go back to my home country will there be any problems in getting J-2, as i am worried abt the 2-yr requirement?

No, you cannot change your status from within the US. However, you can definitely change your status to J2 by exiting and re-entering the US. The 2-year rule does not prevent you from getting the J2 visa.

Thanks for the response. Can you please tell me when I should ask my husband to generate a new DS-2019 for my J-2? Is it before 30th June?

Could you please tell me if I can find a new job during 30days grace period (after June 30th 2010), Do I need to go back to my home country or can i stay within US? If I need to go back to my home country will there be any issue in getting a new J-1 visa because of 2yr-requirement. thanks for your time. Please reply at the earliest.

For J-2, you don't need another DS-2019.

I'm afraid you have to leave the US once your grace period is over. You can apply for another J-1 in your home country and enter the US again. The 2-year rule does not affect your eligibility of getting another J-1.

I called the UCSIS and checked with them, They said that I can request for a change of status from J-1 to J-2 before my I-94 expires, ie before June 30th 2010 right?? If the UCSIS approves my change of status, I do not have to travel back to my home country. Is this information correct?? Awaiting for response. thanks.

These values represent the distances at which OFF changes to ON (approaching) or ON changes to OFF (separating) when

If the approach speed is less than the specified value, the Controller's safety contact output may not turn ON, even if the distance is less than the switching distance.