Susan Su, aka RisingSun aka uuu12345, got arrested today

Jo1234

Registered Users (C)
From several news sites:
PLEASANTON -- The president of Tri-Valley University, which has been called a "sham" by federal prosecutors, was arrested Monday after being indicted on 33 counts in what authorities call a student visa fraud scheme.

Susan Xiao-Ping Su, 41, of Pleasanton, was arrested Monday morning in Pleasanton.

Su was indicted April 28 by a federal grand jury on counts of conspiracy to commit visa fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, alien harboring and making false statements, among other violations.

According to the indictment, Su is accused of engaging in a two-year scheme to defraud the Department of Homeland Security by submitting fraudulent documents for Tri-Valley University's applicants to admit foreign students on student visas in exchange for "tuition and fees." Tuition was $2,700 a semester at the school, which operated for three years.

The indictment also says that Su engaged in multiple money laundering transactions totaling over $3.2 million using the proceeds derived from the visa fraud scheme.

"Today's indictment alleges a visa fraud scheme through which the defendant accrued millions of dollars and took advantage of others' eagerness to come to the United States," U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag said in a statement.

Crime didn't pay

Ms. Sue will now have an opportunity to explain her actions to a jury of her peers. Let's see how she justifies what she did. This might be the beginning of the end for all these sham universities. Nothing like a well-publicized criminal trial in federal court to scare straight other wanna-be profiteers.

More news reports, from the Pleasanton Patch,http://pleasanton.patch.com/articles/sham-university-case-one-of-biggest-official-says:
Susan Xiao-Ping Su, 41, of Pleasanton, founder of Tri-Valley University, was arrested Monday after being indicted by a federal grand jury on 33 counts relating to student visa fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, alien harboring and making false statements, among other violations, according to Bay City News.

"It's certainly a significant case because of the scope and volume of money involved," said Virginia Kice, spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices in Laguna Niguel.

Su was taken into custody without incident at her Pleasanton residence by agents with ICE Homeland Security Investigations, and then released the same day on $300,000 bond, Kice said.

While Kice hesitated to quantify or rank the Pleasanton case against other student-visa fraud cases, particularly since it's ongoing, she did acknowledge the Tri-Valley University saga is "one of the biggest" ever handled by federal agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outcome

If she's found guilty --highly likely given the way she operated, I predict an exemplary sentence. The system has to deter cases like this one from proliferating. Sadly for her, he thought she could get away with it because there were other sham universities around.

hi Jo1234

my name is praneeth. I came to Oklahoma state university in Jan 2011 and transferred to Tri-valley university ( nothing hiding just to work from day 1 ) .....and everything else you know...............my SEVIS got terminated.. and I came back to India on April 7 voluntarily... though i have updated my contact details to sevis dept..... ICE or DHS has never contacted me and no NTA has been issued against me....... right now i am in India and i want to come back with new i20 from San Jose state university for September intake for my MS to study only... but i have some doubts regarding this............ is my old f1 visa still good enough though it is valid untill dec 2015... because it was return in some websites that irrespective of the validity of ur f1 visa if ur out of status for more than 5 months ur visa will automatically get cancelled...... and in another site it was mentioned that a student can re-enter within 5 months from his exit date....with new initial i 20 and sevis paid...... so considering the first one tri valley is closed on jan 18 .. and 5 months is completed................when considering the second one i came back on apr 7....... so i dont know which way should i take it..............please suggest me.........

Thanks,