Surrendering Indian passport and Applying for OCI at the same time

Is it possible to surrender Indian passport and Applying for OCI at the same time?

Yes. You don't have to do anything when you apply. When your OCI documents finally arrive at the consulate, you can send your Indian passport along with your US passport (latter to get U visa stickers) and they will return your 'cancelled' Indian passport.

Yes. You don't have to do anything when you apply. When your OCI documents finally arrive at the consulate, you can send your Indian passport along with your US passport (latter to get U visa stickers) and they will return your 'cancelled' Indian passport.

But remember that you MUST NOT use your indian passport for any travel reasons after you have taken the US citizenship oath, since technically, your Indian passport becomes invalid as soon as you take US oath.

You can either get your Indian passport 'cancelled' separately even if you dont apply for OCI, or as a convenient alternative, send your Indian passport for cancellation when you send your US passport for the OCI visa sticker.

And Indian embassy does return the passport with Cancelled stamp in it. So you always have a record that you were an Indian citizen once.

No complications

Folks. question about the cancellation of Indian passport. There is a form called Renunciation (http://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/pdf/renunciation.pdf). Is that the right form to complete and send to get the Indian passport canceled ? When I read the wording on that .. I was a little hesitant.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't go looking for trouble when none is asked. Ask yourself this question - Is it mentioned in the OCI section of the embassy or consulate website? The answer is - NO.

All you are told is to send in the Indian passport along with the US passport after the documents arrive in US (assuming they grant you the privilege).

Nred

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant us the privilege? Is it difficult to get cleared for it? Do you know the criteria? It sounds like they go through your history and stuff or something, as if we're getting Indian citizenship from nothing. I thought it was a much simpler process.

Grant us the privilege? Is it difficult to get cleared for it? Do you know the criteria? It sounds like they go through your history and stuff or something, as if we're getting Indian citizenship from nothing. I thought it was a much simpler process.

I think the 'privilege' here was being used in a strictly technical sense. Even though the process is sometimes long and seemingly cumbersome (especially the differences from consulate to consulate), I haven't heard of anyone being delayed or denied for anything other than routine problems with photos/signatures/missing copies of passports, etc. So after you have applied (forms are among of the simplest I have seen - even simpler than opening an NRI bank account) by following the instructions correctly, just sit back and relax for 2-3 months and you become an OCI :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 'privilege' here was being used in a strictly technical sense. Even though the process is sometimes long and seemingly cumbersome (especially the differences from consulate to consulate), I haven't heard of anyone being delayed or denied for anything other than routine problems with photos/signatures/missing copies of passports, etc. So once you apply (forms are one of the simplest I have seen - even simpler than opening an NRI account) by following the instructions correctly, sit back and relax for 2-3 months and you become and OCI :)

Oh, good. Thanks man. I don't have to worry about that for another couple of years, but good to know that it's simple.

The cancellation of passport does not require any forms or applications etc. If you want just attach a short note/letter stating that you have USC.

Unregarded!

If you go in person, all they do is cut the top corner of the passport cover and stamp "Acquired US Citizenship" in the first page. That is all. No other documentation or fancy procedure of removing you from some imaginative list. Kinda makes you feel unregarded.

If you send by mail, its pretty much the same procedure but you add a cover letter letting them know why the heck you are sending them the passport (just make sure you send a stamped self addressed envelope along). There have been issues with people never receiving the passports after the fact.

So lets not go looking for trouble.

Nred

Help

Yes you can do together, all forms are available at Travisa website

Hello,
I am little dumb at all these, but I need specific help with this topic
my mother got her citizenship back in August 2013 and I want to apply for OCI card and also surrender her Indian passport (Cancel Indian passport). What is the process of that can anyone send me all links for forms and what document needed. i found something on internet saying "OCI and Renunciation " is that same as what I want?

Thanks In Advance
Dhruv