• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Successful DV2015 Interview - London

PaulP

Hi All,

Firstly to Sm1smom, Britsimon and SusieQQQ amongst others... a Very BIG thank you of all your invaluable advice, information and support you guys have provided on this great site.

My wife and I made our first DV lottery entry back in 2008 for DV2010, and after out 5th attempt my wife was selected for the DV2015 draw.

Wife's case number was 2015AF00004***, and we had the interview at 8am on October 22 at the London US Embassy, we did not take our kids as both were under 14 and they did not require to be there.

We live in North London, so we traveled to the embassy on the tube arriving at the embassy at around 7:30am, at around 7:40am we got to the front of the queue where our name was checked on the list, and were told to stand in a second line for the security check. The security guard called us over and checked our passport and the confirmation letter, which was in my wife's name, and asked where was mine. We told him that the whole family is represented with that letter, he went away to check and came back 5 minutes later and pointed us to the security hut to the right hand side, where we did the checks and were told to follow the signs for Visa's to the right hand side of the embassy.

Once in we were given a ticket with our call number on it ( it started with an I***) and told to sit in the waiting room, it was now around 7:55am. At round 8:05am we were called to Window 13, where a pleasant English gentleman collected our documents and gave a pink slip to take to the cashier, I left my wife at the window whilst I went and paid $1320 for the visa's. By the time I was done and got back to the window, the gentleman told us to go and sit down again and wait to be called for the interview. At around 8:30am we called to window 16, where we met a very nice American counsellor who looked through and asked for confirmation of high school level education, My pointed her to the A-level results sheet and then the counsellor left to get someone to verify the sheet, she cam back and started typing on the computer, for what felt like a lifetime, then she just looked up and said your done, your all set and your visa's will be ready to pick up within 5 days, it was now 9:15am.

Both my wife and I had to do a double take at the counsellor, who was now smiling at our reaction :), and a "Is that it" from me and she nodded.

We left the embassy and grabbed a coffee and some breakfast at a cafe near by and discussed our next steps, and then home.

Thanks
PaulP

Lovely! So easy! Congratulations!

Interesting you didn't have to take your kids. Here, we don't have to take children under 14 for tourist visa interviews if a parent has already been issued a visa, but all have to attend immigrant visa interviews.

Hi All,

Firstly to Sm1smom, Britsimon and SusieQQQ amongst others... a Very BIG thank you of all your invaluable advice, information and support you guys have provided on this great site.

My wife and I made our first DV lottery entry back in 2008 for DV2010, and after out 5th attempt my wife was selected for the DV2015 draw.

Wife's case number was 2015AF00004***, and we had the interview at 8am on October 22 at the London US Embassy, we did not take our kids as both were under 14 and they did not require to be there.

We live in North London, so we traveled to the embassy on the tube arriving at the embassy at around 7:30am, at around 7:40am we got to the front of the queue where our name was checked on the list, and were told to stand in a second line for the security check. The security guard called us over and checked our passport and the confirmation letter, which was in my wife's name, and asked where was mine. We told him that the whole family is represented with that letter, he went away to check and came back 5 minutes later and pointed us to the security hut to the right hand side, where we did the checks and were told to follow the signs for Visa's to the right hand side of the embassy.

Once in we were given a ticket with our call number on it ( it started with an I***) and told to sit in the waiting room, it was now around 7:55am. At round 8:05am we were called to Window 13, where a pleasant English gentleman collected our documents and gave a pink slip to take to the cashier, I left my wife at the window whilst I went and paid $1320 for the visa's. By the time I was done and got back to the window, the gentleman told us to go and sit down again and wait to be called for the interview. At around 8:30am we called to window 16, where we met a very nice American counsellor who looked through and asked for confirmation of high school level education, My pointed her to the A-level results sheet and then the counsellor left to get someone to verify the sheet, she cam back and started typing on the computer, for what felt like a lifetime, then she just looked up and said your done, your all set and your visa's will be ready to pick up within 5 days, it was now 9:15am.

Both my wife and I had to do a double take at the counsellor, who was now smiling at our reaction :), and a "Is that it" from me and she nodded.

We left the embassy and grabbed a coffee and some breakfast at a cafe near by and discussed our next steps, and then home.

Thanks
PaulP

It is great when they go like this - and surprisingly they normally do. I think Susie has pointed out before, the DV visa/Green Card is the easiest visa process by far, but people insist on making it harder through basic mistakes.

Have you decided where to settle in the USA?

Congratulations and wish you good luck with the next steps! ;)Thank you for sharing your experience at the London embassy. I am sure there are many others here doing their interviews in London, along with myself, so it's useful to read about how it goes there... sounds like the 8 AM appointment is a good time to dodge the rush hour crowd on the Central line :D

Hi All,

Thanks
PaulP

Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations , did the CO ask you for any other educational certs other then your A-Level results.
I am expecting my interview in June/July 2015 in London. My drawback is I have lost my primary and Secondary (O-level) school exam results but do have Secondary school leaving certificates, not sure if carrys any weight, So I have to rely on work experience.

Regards
DM

Congratulations and wish you good luck with the next steps! ;)Thank you for sharing your experience at the London embassy. I am sure there are many others here doing their interviews in London, along with myself, so it's useful to read about how it goes there... sounds like the 8 AM appointment is a good time to dodge the rush hour crowd on the Central line :D

Sunshine15 - when you expecting your interview , mine will be in London as well , would be nice if the ones having interview in London can share the experience.

Hi All,

Thanks
PaulP

Paul .. Did you get any letter from US Embassy in London prior to your interview.

Sunshine15 - when you expecting your interview , mine will be in London as well , would be nice if the ones having interview in London can share the experience.

Hey Durbin, mine will be in December. I will also share my (hopefully positive) interview experience - Paul's description was great, now at least we have an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
Hey Durbin, mine will be in December. I will also share my (hopefully positive) interview experience - Paul's description was great, now at least we have an idea of what to expect.

Sunshine15 - Thanks, wish you good luck, looking forward to hear on your experience.

Regards
DM

Hey All,

Thanks for all the kind words.
Apologies, for the delay in getting back to your questions.

@Britsimon - Yes, we will be going to Minnesota, I am lucky enough that my current company is willing to move a post across to head office, so something else not to worry about;), and they are happy because it gets done without them having to pay a penny towards the cost!

@durbin.. A- level is what they were after, basically education up to 18, so if you do not have o-levels, you should still be good. And, no, we did not get any more communication from the embassy, we just took print out of the appointment letter from the entry check website.

Wishing you all success in your interviews.

Regards
Paul

Hey All,

Thanks for all the kind words.
Apologies, for the delay in getting back to your questions.

@Britsimon - Yes, we will be going to Minnesota, I am lucky enough that my current company is willing to move a post across to head office, so something else not to worry about;), and they are happy because it gets done without them having to pay a penny towards the cost!

@durbin.. A- level is what they were after, basically education up to 18, so if you do not have o-levels, you should still be good. And, no, we did not get any more communication from the embassy, we just took print out of the appointment letter from the entry check website.

Wishing you all success in your interviews.

Regards
Paul

Paul - Thanks.. I wish you good luck..

Sunshine15 - Good luck for the interview , kindly share your experience..

Dear Durbin & fellow Londoners, I got my DV case approved today at the embassy at Grosvernor Square. Just a few practical tips to add to PaulP’s description which is by the way totally accurate - thanks again for that! Sooooo….

-make sure you get to the embassy approx. half an hour earlier than your appointment. I had an 8 AM appointment, there was already a long queue (should I say line now that I’m US bound? :D) at 7:15. Embassy workers started checking passports and calling people into the security check booth from 7:40 onwards

-contrary to popular belief, you CAN take bigger bags, backpacks in after security check. They ask if you have laptop on you and they may ask you to show your mobile device. Don’t have to switch them off once inside, just turn the wifi off

-there is toilet and also a snack/coffee stand in the waiting area where you can buy stuff but maybe you don’t want to be spilling your latte when your number suddenly pops up on the big screen and you rush to your window :rolleyes:

-the embassy workers who you meet first and who gather your documents are not American. The consular officer doing the interview is American.

-don’t bother arranging your papers in separate plastic covers or clip them… they don’t want the clips or the plastic things. You will be asked to hand over whatever paper they are asking for without the fancy filing accessories

-make sure you register in advance with the courier service and do take the printed confirmation page of it with you

-you can pay the 330 bucks however you wish. Card, cash, pounds, dollars.

-if you have valid B1/B2 tourist visa in expired passport, take the expired one too so that they can smash that 'cancelled without prejudice' stamp on it :D

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Dear Durbin & fellow Londoners, I got my DV case approved today at the embassy at Grosvernor Square. Just a few practical tips to add to PaulP’s description which is by the way totally accurate - thanks again for that! Sooooo….

-make sure you get to the embassy approx. half an hour earlier than your appointment. I had an 8 AM appointment, there was already a long queue (should I say line now that I’m US bound? :D) at 7:15. Embassy workers started checking passports and calling people into the security check booth from 7:40 onwards

-contrary to popular belief, you CAN take bigger bags, backpacks in after security check. They ask if you have laptop on you and they may ask you to show your mobile device. Don’t have to switch them off once inside, just turn the wifi off

-there is toilet and also a snack/coffee stand in the waiting area where you can buy stuff but maybe you don’t want to be spilling your latte when your number suddenly pops up on the big screen and you rush to your window :rolleyes:

-the embassy workers who you meet first and who gather your documents are not American. The consular officer doing the interview is American.

-don’t bother arranging your papers in separate plastic covers or clip them… they don’t want the clips or the plastic things. You will be asked to hand over whatever paper they are asking for without the fancy filing accessories

-make sure you register in advance with the courier service and do take the printed confirmation page of it with you

-you can pay the 330 bucks however you wish. Card, cash, pounds, dollars.

-if you have valid B1/B2 tourist visa in expired passport, take the expired one too so that they can smash that 'cancelled without prejudice' stamp on it :D

Good luck to everyone!

Hello Sunshine15

Thanks for sharing your exp.,, and congratulations....

Where did you register for the courier service, is this at the Embassy ?
The documents you handed over to the Embassy staff , where this photocopies or originals ?
Did they ask you any Q's on your work or Education.

Regards
DM

Hello Sunshine15

Thanks for sharing your exp.,, and congratulations....

Where did you register for the courier service, is this at the Embassy ?
The documents you handed over to the Embassy staff , where this photocopies or originals ?
Did they ask you any Q's on your work or Education.

Regards
DM

Hi there, on the US gov. website there is a useful 'prepare for the interview' page for DV selectees: http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...visa/interview/prepare-for-the-interview.html
In the '2. Review U.S. Embassy or Consulate Interview Instructions' section you'll find a drop down menu with the list of embassies where interviews are arranged. Select London, and read the .pdf which contains specific instructions regarding the courier service of the London embassy with the website address where you need to register.

At the embassy you need to hand in the copies, translations if needed and the originals as well for review. You get back the originals after your interview, they keep the copies.
They only asked me about my education and I had to show proof to make sure I had the appropriate level of high school (think UK A levels or education after which you can go straight to university).

Hope it helps.