Subject to Home Res. Requirement while being student overseas

sanguine

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,
I am a graduate student in Singapore since 4 years. I am going for an exchange program on J-1 visa which has residency requirement to India.
I had noted in my app. that I am an Indian citizen with Indian permanent residence, since I am on student pass (equivalent of F-1) here. Was it accurate in terms of immigration laws?

Since I have been a student abroad since so many years, is HRR to India really valid (it is not sensible of course)? Can this requirement be waived simply because I have been student overseas? If so, who should I write to.
I will be leaving for the program in 15 days. Can I help the situation while I am in the US?

If I decide to get a postdoc in the US after 6 months, can I get second J-1 without fulfilling current J-1's residency requirement? If my family joins me on J-2, will they also be subject to the same residency requirement?

Thanks for the pointers

Being a student elsewhere does not void the requirement. You still need to be physically present in the country of last permanent resident (indicated on the DS-2019) for two year, not any other countries.
Since the 2-year rule only prohibits you from getting H/L/K visa, you can apply for another J1 visa. In fact, I have held three J1 visas (all with two year rule, and I applied for a waiver at the end.)
The residency requirement also applies to the J2 holder. Once the J1 holder receives a waiver, it will work for the J2 holder as well.