• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Stolen passport with DV immigration visa

Pelle

I was selected in the 2015 DV lottery, went to my interview in April 2015 and shortly thereafter received my immigration visa. However, a few weeks ago, my apartment was broken into and my passport was stolen. I contacted the embassy who said I had to bring in my new passport and the package/documents they sent me (the ones we are suppose to bring to the US when we first enter) and they will reissue my visa. I went there today and the lady I spoke with said there is a risk, although low, that they wont be able to reissue my visa.

Does anyone know of a similar situation, i.e. a lost or stolen passport with a DV immigration visa. What happen, were you, or the person you know, able to get a new visa or did he/she lose his/her change of getting a greencard? I am literally freaking out because I have waited for this opportunity for about 15 years (entered the lottery +10 times).

I was selected in the 2015 DV lottery, went to my interview in April 2015 and shortly thereafter received my immigration visa. However, a few weeks ago, my apartment was broken into and my passport was stolen. I contacted the embassy who said I had to bring in my new passport and the package/documents they sent me (the ones we are suppose to bring to the US when we first enter) and they will reissue my visa. I went there today and the lady I spoke with said there is a risk, although low, that they wont be able to reissue my visa.

Does anyone know of a similar situation, i.e. a lost or stolen passport with a DV immigration visa. What happen, were you, or the person you know, able to get a new visa or did he/she lose his/her change of getting a greencard? I am literally freaking out because I have waited for this opportunity for about 15 years (entered the lottery +10 times).
Never heard such a story, because people when they get tge visa package they gard it with they life :)
Anyway im sure you will be fine, just enter asap just to avoid any identity theft!
Good luck