Stimulus benefits with wife and kids having ITIN

My wife also called and confirmed what you had said. So today she mailed a letter to the IRS, asking them to replace her ITIN with her new SSN and attached copies of both cards.

I will fill out and mail paper copies of our 2008 tax returns and attach a covering letter asking to replace her ITIN with her new SSN and mention that a request with copies of both cards was mailed earlier.

I too have the PINs we set up for last year's tax returns but will go ahead with the paper mailing, as recommeneded by both IRS officers we spoke to.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Jawad

Don't wait for this process to file. Paper file now and you will still get refund in 2 weeks.

I am working on TN visa since 2004. I couldn't get any stimulus checks last year due to my wife and kids having ITIN. My question is can we get those benefits with our 2008 tax return.

So you're saying if my spouse moves down here on a TD, gets an ITIN, we can't file jointly to receive the $8000 first time home buyer's tax credit?

The 'stimulus' payment we are talining about here was acheck sent last year. All other income tax provisions in the new stimulus package will have to be looked at one at a time.

But generally, such changes to the income tax code do not have such stringent requirements for SSN.

Best asked at a tax forum.

Just an update: Received our 2008 tax refund and 2008 stimulus rebate today after paper filing 3 weeks back. There were rumours that those recieving SSNs in 2009 would be disqualified from the 2008 stimulus rebate.

However filled out paper tax returns as recommended by folks earlier with a cover sheet requesting that my wife's ITTN be swapped with her new SSN. Also mailed in a letter with copies of both her cards the week prior to mailing our tax returns.

So our refund should puts everyone else's mind at ease also, who might have been in the same position and were worried.

Thanks Nelsona for your advice.

Jawad

My question is a little different than what is being discussed above.
Myself and my wife both have valid SSN but my 2 kids have ITIN. Therefore, for recovery rebate credit I only entered 1200 while filling my 2008 tax return (note that i didn't receive any stimulus last year). But IRS rejected my claim of 1200 against recovery rebate saying that all the famly members on tax return must have a valid SSN.

this is not correct, because even their recovery rebate worksheet shows that i should be getting 1200$ (600 each for myself and my wife and nothing for kids) as recovery rebare credit.

What can i do about it.

Contact IRS withe the infor you have. In my opinion you are correct.

Can I ask why your kids only have ITINs?

My son was born in 1991. He did not have a SSN in 2007 so I filed 2007 tax return using his Tax Number. Of course he did not get the $300 stimulating check in mail (we got 1200 jointly).

In 2008, he got the EAD and SSN. So I filed my 2008 tax return using his SSN. I claimed his $300. Now I got a letter saying there was an error in my 2008 tax return and I need to pay back the $300. I called IRS. A guy said he has to be under 17 on Dec 31, 2008. Is that right?

On http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179... it was clearly written:

Q. My child turned 17 in December 2007. Do I still get the extra child payment?
A. Not in this case. Eligible taxpayers who qualify for a payment may receive an additional $300 for each qualifying child. But to qualify, a child must be under age 17 as of Dec. 31, 2007. In other words, if a child was 16 or younger at the end of 2007 and meets the other eligibility requirements, then the child will qualify for the $300 stimulus payment.

Note "to qualify, a child must be under age 17 as of Dec. 31, 2007", not 2008? Did I misunderstand something here?