Status if GC expires and NOA I-751 not here?

laverdure

Registered Users (C)
Hypothetical situation getting more real by the day:
My conditional GC expires 01/03/07. I filed my I-751 12/14/06 to TSC (yes, I know should have done it way earlier). My question is:
What if my GC expires before I receive a NOA? Am I still legally allowed to work or not? Should I notify my employer? My marriage is legit and I have plenty of supporting evidence so eventually I am pretty sure it will get approved but what happens to my status in the meantime, when GC expires and I don't have a NOA extending the validity of the GC?
Thanks for your comments!

Relax....

laverdure said:
Hypothetical situation getting more real by the day:
My conditional GC expires 01/03/07. I filed my I-751 12/14/06 to TSC (yes, I know should have done it way earlier). My question is:
What if my GC expires before I receive a NOA? Am I still legally allowed to work or not? Should I notify my employer? My marriage is legit and I have plenty of supporting evidence so eventually I am pretty sure it will get approved but what happens to my status in the meantime, when GC expires and I don't have a NOA extending the validity of the GC?
Thanks for your comments!

Laverdure,

Relax... :) USCIS will send you a letter noting the extension of your greencard for a year, while they review whatever information send you send them. This is their M.O. In this way, it buys them time to review you file while you are still legal and enjoying the priviledges of a greencard holder. :eek: If they don't extend your card, then they will be forced to adjudicate it before your card expires. To avoid this, they extend it... :cool:

I can bet a shaggy dog that you will receive your Notice of Action before end of Jan 31, 07 noting an extension of your greencard.. :rolleyes: You will never be out of status. However, if 30 days has passed since you have send the application for removal of conditions, then call their 1800 number and see what is going on... :rolleyes: If not,then relax, enjoy your wife and feed the dog... :D

Al Southner,

Thank you for your positive comments.

I understand that I'll be fine as soon as I receive a NOA. But I am still not clear about my status when/if the GC expires BEFORE I receive the NOA...
GC expires January 3rd 2007. What if I have not received a NOA at this date? Technically, I would have nothing to show my employer that I am eligible for work anymore. Shall I inquire by phone or make an Infopass appointment if I have not received the NOA on 01/03/07?
Thanks

Once again, relax...

laverdure said:
Al Southner,

Thank you for your positive comments.

I understand that I'll be fine as soon as I receive a NOA. But I am still not clear about my status when/if the GC expires BEFORE I receive the NOA...
GC expires January 3rd 2007. What if I have not received a NOA at this date? Technically, I would have nothing to show my employer that I am eligible for work anymore. Shall I inquire by phone or make an Infopass appointment if I have not received the NOA on 01/03/07?
Thanks

lav,

Well... if Jan 15th, approaches and you have received nothing from USCIS,which I doubt (USCIS loves your $$$) then you should make an info pass and find out what is going on. From most of my friends who removed conditions, you are assured to hear back from them once they process your removal of conditions applications... :rolleyes:

As I said, you aren't going to be out of status while they are working on your applications. You employer shouldn't be worried at all... :p You are going to hear back from USCIS before the end of Jan, 07. It takes them about 10 days to issue a NOA, and will certainly issue you an extension, unless there is a reason for them not to do this.... :confused:

Al,

Thanks again. Will wait until Jan. 15 and if nothing, will make infopass appointment.

If it only takes 10 days to issue the NOA (which I have seen in one post on this board), then I'll be fine . But my worry was what if it takes them 2 months to issue the NOA (as I have also seen on a post on this board)? Guess I'll find out...

I'll try to follow your first advice and try to relax for now :) ...
Thanks