Stateless Person in US

grey_juce

Hello, can anybody give an advice or direction what stateless person should do.

Briefly, I was obtaining asylum in US and lost immigration court, appeal in Virginia and appeal in Federal Court without further appeal.

Second part of my story, I found out this after last denial from Federal Court. I came in US in 1991 from USSR. Now I am stateless person. Immigration Court appointed 2 countries of deportation: Russia or Latvia. But as of now I have certified letters from both of mentioned counties saying that I’m not eligible to get any documentation.

Attorneys would not take my case, because there is no case (denial with no appeal from Federal court mean case is closed). Human rights organizations not taking my case for the same reason. I have case in UN, specifically UNHCR - one of UN’s Departments, but they won’t take my case, because US doesn’t recognize UN mandate on this matter to treat states person as immigrant.

It seems like in US has no law governing stateless person at all.

Hello, can anybody give an advice or direction what stateless person should do.

Greetings, comrade grey_juce! :)

AFAIK You are eligible to reclaim your Russian citizenship if you were born in Russia, or if you lived in Russia on or before December 1991. You can also claim Russian citizenship if one or both of your parents are (or were) citizens of Russia; or if they lived in Russia on or before December 1991.

As for being a stateless person, I once read a story in a local paper while ago, about a stateless family. They were ordered to be deported for whatever reason. Once INS learned they are stateless, they took them into a jail house and kept there for a number of years. The head of the family managed to sell their house through attorneys from behind barb wire, and spent the proceeds on getting them citizenships in another country. Some strange place like Dominica or Belize. They left the U.S. same day they got their new passports.

Purely hypothetical at this point, but...

OK, here I am: I had a green card for 2 years now. Being seriously pissed about the country of citizenship behavior (hint: it's one of the ex-USSR countries), I am semi-jokingly considering chucking that citizenship (as an act of childish defiance, if you wish) and going stateless. What are the implications for the green card, I wonder?

OK, here I am: I had a green card for 2 years now. Being seriously pissed about the country of citizenship behavior (hint: it's one of the ex-USSR countries), I am semi-jokingly considering chucking that citizenship (as an act of childish defiance, if you wish) and going stateless. What are the implications for the green card, I wonder?

None whatsoever.