Starting N400 application.Please advise.

kingkoopa

hello experts
so "I THINK" im eligible to file for my N-400 now.
The date on my green card is 01/19/2013
i WAS 32 years old when i got it.
Im married a Non US Citizen and she got her GC on the same date.

I was out of the country 41 Days during the 5 years while I was on GC.

She was out of the country 163 Days during the 5 years she was on GC.

Does that push our eligibility date forward? (i hope not)

Also as per the document check-list and the N-400 form , seems like the only documents we need to send with the application forms are:

2 pictures.
filing fee check.
green card back and front.

Please someone tell me if i am wrong or I am missing a document.

Also i dont completely understand the selective service question
I came on F-1 and i was 21 and never knew about selective service and never filed for it. Can someone please help me understand what to do here?

All help and advice is very much appreciated
sincerely
KK

You are eligible to file now.

Pictures are not needed if you are filing from the US.

For Selective Service, you were not required to register while on non-immigrant status, like F1. But you were required to register if you were in the US in any other status, e.g. as a permanent resident, or if you were out of status and staying illegally, between your 18th birthday and 26th birthday.

You're way over 31 now, so no worries about Selective Service anyway. You case seems quite straightforward, so the process should be very simple with the basic documents required that you mention. Good luck.

so the filing fee check and the green card copy will be sufficient along with the filled out application?
I also dont need 5 year taxes?
Thank you very much experts
God Bless

Looks like the instructions have changed a lot since I applied seven years ago. Now I see that you ought to send proof of marital status, so maybe do that too.

It says you can bring other documents like tax returns to the interview. If I am not mistaken, unless you have excessive travel and your livelihood is in question, you need not even bother taking those.

as per my understanding you send proof of marital status if you are married to a US CITIZEN.
in my case my wife is on GC like me through my H1B. I did not marry a US CITIZEN.
right now im just trying to file for citizenship/n400.

i know when for the interview i will need to take TONS & TONS OF DOCS like taxes and marriage certificate college degrees and h1b docs with me.

It says you can bring other documents like tax returns to the interview. If I am not mistaken, unless you have excessive travel and your livelihood is in question, you need not even bother taking those.

Really? Everyone I know who has gone has taken tax returns. I was under the impression it was part of showing both that you’ve maintained residence and that you’ve complied with the obligations required of LPRs.

OK so a clarification ( respectfully ofcourse)
so some people know what to do ( like you)
and some people do not know what to do( like me).Not everyone knows everything

and that is the purpose of these forums so people who know( again , like you) and help out people who dont know ( like me)

and "almost" everyone on these forums is anonymous.

I am not sure what part of my posts upset you and made you make this rude comment::::I must say I don’t quite understand why you are asking anonymous people on the internet what to send rather than following the instructions on the form?

Anyways , I'm not looking for an argument here.

I thank you all for your inputs here.Yes thank you too SusieQQQ :)

OK so a clarification ( respectfully ofcourse)
so some people know what to do ( like you)
and some people do not know what to do( like me).Not everyone knows everything

and that is the purpose of these forums so people who know( again , like you) and help out people who dont know ( like me)

and "almost" everyone on these forums is anonymous.

I am not sure what part of my posts upset you and made you make this rude comment::::I must say I don’t quite understand why you are asking anonymous people on the internet what to send rather than following the instructions on the form?

Anyways , I'm not looking for an argument here.

I thank you all for your inputs here.Yes thank you too SusieQQQ :)

I’m not looking t make an argument either, but I’d be pretty well off if I had a dollar for every time someone messed up because they listened to a friend or “someone on the internet” rather than following the official guidelines. I particularly don’t understand it when rules are clear. In fact just the other day on another forum I am on, there was someone who got an N400 denied because he did what a friend told him to do - despite the fact that he had also had easy access to instructions that clearly showed his “friend” was wrong.

And I wasn’t being sarcastic or argumentative, and I didn’t just make a throwaway comment about the rules being out there somewhere, I looked it up, I gave you the link and even the page number. In other words I GAVE YOU EXACTLY THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS ON WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE TO THE INTERVIEW . And not in ways that could be misinterpreted but the official exact guideline.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Alright, kids. Calm down.

kingkoopa:

With the stipulation that everything has changed since I applied several years ago, I think it would be safe to assume that you can follow the instructions. Again, from several years ago, I know people who did not send or take tax returns for straightforward applications. This might have changed, and since they are asking for them, you can take them along. No need to send them in.

For the marriage certificate, the instructions ask for it and I don't see a stipulation that you only send it when you're applying under the 3-year rule, but the document checklist says it's only needed for a marriage-based application: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/attachments.pdf. Stick with this.

Regarding Selective Service, since you were on F1 and H1 statuses between 18 and 26, you were exempt from registering: https://www.immihelp.com/immigration/register-selective-service.html. Mention that in the form, and you'll be ok.

Someone with more recent knowledge can weigh in and correct me, of course. There are also other threads where your question might already have been, or can be answered.

Good luck!