• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

SSN not recognized

Tom Jones

Hi everyone.

I arrived last Sunday to the US and right on Monday morning I went to the SSA office and applied for a SSN. Today (Saturday) the card with the number arrived.

On the envelope it says you can create an account at socialsecurity.gov so I tried it, however I got an error message saying that my information could not be verified. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Is my number not active yet? It basically asks just for name, date of birth, street and ssn.

Hi everyone.

I arrived last Sunday to the US and right on Monday morning I went to the SSA office and applied for a SSN. Today (Saturday) the card with the number arrived.

On the envelope it says you can create an account at socialsecurity.gov so I tried it, however I got an error message saying that my information could not be verified. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Is my number not active yet? It basically asks just for name, date of birth, street and ssn.

It wouldn't surprise me if half the US population hasn't logged into that website.

Your SSN is valid and ready to go. Give it to banks and employers and that'll propagate out into all the systems.

Most important goal now is building a good credit history. Get a credit card (secured if that's all you can manage).