SSN issue!!!!!

mr needy

Registered Users (C)
hi i got my ead last month applied for SSN on june 14th, have not received it till now , i have visited the SS office twice but in vain, they tell me that i will have my SSN only after immigration cleareance and verification,its been a month now , can any one throw some light on this issue is some their in my same situation ???, what can i do ??? i need to start working !!!!!

Permission to work is granted by your EAD, not by your SSN. Your SSN is only for income tax purposes, which the employer must file at the end of each month. Most employers are satisfied to see evidence that you APPLIED for your SSN, and you just need to show them your EAD to legally be allowed to work. Some employers are misled into thinking that the SSN is proof of permission to work, which in fact is absolutley incorrect, but it can be difficult to convince them othewise unless they consult with an immigration lawyer.

When my mother-in-law applied for an SSN they told her her case is not in the system, and to wait 14 business days before trying again. They said if she applies right away before waiting, it will take over 2 months to get the verification back from USCIS. This sounds like the situation you are currently in, and it could take you 2-3 months to get the SSN in the mail.

If she waits 14 business days and trys, then she would get the SSN in 5-7 days after applying. So, she is still waiting.

thanks for ur reply, but nobody suggested me that if i waited i could get my ssn in 7 days if such could have been the case i could have waited , i dont know what to do,
other thing u need a ssn no to start working coz thats the 1st thing they ask!!!, correct me if i am wrong.

mr needy said:
thanks for ur reply, but nobody suggested me that if i waited i could get my ssn in 7 days if such could have been the case i could have waited , i dont know what to do,
other thing u need a ssn no to start working coz thats the 1st thing they ask!!!, correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, you do need to show your SS# to start working as well as EAD, but the receipt showing you applied for SS# is acceptable as well during the first month.
I just re-applied for my SS card. They told me to wait 14 days, but I waited a month, even though it was my 3d time changing it.
Your SS card will come in a mail very soon now. Do not worry. This is a different agency you dealing with and they have to verify your eligibility for the SS with INS and sometimes it takes longer then they tell you.
You know what you can do? Call your local SS where you apply and check on the status of your application. They might be able to tell you when you get your card or what’s taking so long.

I am confused here. My husband is working on his H1. He has applied through me as a spouse of USC. We applied for his EAD too. Which we have received. Does he have to apply for new SSN? Rightnow the SSN he is using says 'Authorized to work with INS permission only'.
Thanks for your help

Hey Mr Needy I found this at the SSA website:
I applied for a Social Security card today. What do I tell my employer?

Question
I just received a work authorization card from Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and I applied for a Social Security card today. What do I tell my employer?

Answer
If you received a receipt from the Social Security Administration when you applied for a Social Security card, you should show it to your employer. In lieu of a receipt, your employer may ask for some identifying information such as your name, address, date of birth, sex and parents' name. You should immediately tell your employer your correct Social Security number once you receive it.

Also, you should be prepared to show your employer your work authorization card from DHS and any other documents you have establishing your identity and eligibility to work.

It is your employer’s responsibility to correctly record your Social Security number on their payroll records. If you’re a noncitizen, we must verify your documents with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) before we issue a replacement SSN card. Most of the time, we can quickly verify your documents online with DHS. If DHS can’t verify your documents online, it may take longer to issue a card. We are working closely with DHS to minimize delays.

Hope helps you, good luck,

amishah said:
I am confused here. My husband is working on his H1. He has applied through me as a spouse of USC. We applied for his EAD too. Which we have received. Does he have to apply for new SSN? Rightnow the SSN he is using says 'Authorized to work with INS permission only'.
Thanks for your help

Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213
I just found this at www.ssa.gov:
"What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?
If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. "

Since he is using a SSN for his temporary work as a H-1B visa and now he is going to be a LPR probably that matters his immigration status will change.

good luck,

cherr1980 said:
Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213
I just found this at www.ssa.gov:
"What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?
If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. "

Since he is using a SSN for his temporary work as a H-1B visa and now he is going to be a LPR probably that matters his immigration status will change.

good luck,
I would like to have a answer on exact scenario since he is not LPR nor H1-B holder at this moment. I will call 800# and will try to find out and will let you all know. Meantime if somebody has gone through the same thing please let me know.

hello amishah, since ur husband has a ssn, it doesnt matter, u just have to update it with ss office about ur husbands status

SSN Issue

Employers must vary as I had two different jobs in the time that I was waiting for my SSnumber and neither of them were bothered as long as I had the EAD. I waited 12 weeks and many phone calls to SS office before I received my number in fact I received my GC before my SS number!!

amishah said:
Thanks for your help

No, he doesn't have to apply for a new one.
His SSN will be forever.
And even though he has EAD, his status hasn't changed for SSA.
He still needs INS permission to work.
In this case INS permission is his EAD (in fact, he will need to show both of them when getting hired for a new job). Before (under H1 status) his permission to work was the I-129 (the paper from USCIS associated with the H1B visa).
When he'll get his GC, he's gonna have to change his social security card (the number will be the same though) and SSA will remove the "Authorized to work with INS permission only" thing.

amishah said:
Thanks for your help

He can continue using his current SSN....

But its a good idea to inform SSN office that your status is changed so that they can update their records. They won't issue new SSN, simply records will be updated with this new info & new card (with old number) will replace old card.

all they say is that i ahve to wait 6 -8 weeks is this normal???. i ahve called and gone to the office . please some one help ,very depressed !!

Mr needy, everybody had answered your questions. Why you don't calm down a little bit? Everybody understands that all this situation is frustrated but is up to you to win this one.

If you already have an appointment or an offer for a job, just go with your receipt from SSA and your EAD and explain the situations. Plus you can tell your employer that there is a number that they can call to verify that you have authorization to work. I can't remember but at the uscis.gov appears.

good luck,

mr needy said:
all they say is that i ahve to wait 6 -8 weeks is this normal???. i ahve called and gone to the office . please some one help ,very depressed !!
yes this is normal. I mentioned this in my first reply to your question. The SSA needs time to verify that your EAD is real, and so you have no choice but to wait.

My mother-in-law went back yesterday (14 days after she got her passport stamp) and they told her that she'll have her SSN within 2 weeks (i.e. 7 business days)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys , i know i am paniki but i am having delays rite from applying for a job to getting a DL . thanks anyways all of u

Heelo evry one , i finally got my my SSN(after 6 weeks ) by calling the 800 no. i didnt get it in the mail though..., hope fully i will get it a week,.
there was a problem i wanted to disscuss with u guys i hope some one will help me out....
my ssn was issued on 07/21/05 i called and 800 no and got the no. ...., as a normal procedure i went a bank to open a account and also to add my name in my wifes acct as well,
this is the 1 st time evr i got a ssn so it brand new no ,while i was opening an account , on the system an error mess came saying that i cuoldnot open an account as my name is on their CHEXSYSTEM, i dont what it was they gave me report saying that I should 1st take my name of the chexsystem and apply for a bank account.or i may not be allowed to open an account i was never aware of this thing called the CHEX system.when i came and cheked online what the hell it was ,its a cosumer reporting agency which report some thing like a fraud...mishandling of account etc . i dont why they have my name on the chexsystem???????. did any body have an exp like this if so waht r the consequences what can i do??? .what iam thinking is that since it is a new ssn , so therefore it might not be in the system i hope that is the only thing please advice

Wait a minute...

mr needy said:
Heelo evry one , i finally got my my SSN(after 6 weeks ) by calling the 800 no. i didnt get it in the mail though..., hope fully i will get it a week,.
there was a problem i wanted to disscuss with u guys i hope some one will help me out....
my ssn was issued on 07/21/05 i called and 800 no and got the no. ...., as a normal procedure i went a bank to open a account and also to add my name in my wifes acct as well,
this is the 1 st time evr i got a ssn so it brand new no ,while i was opening an account , on the system an error mess came saying that i cuoldnot open an account as my name is on their CHEXSYSTEM, i dont what it was they gave me report saying that I should 1st take my name of the chexsystem and apply for a bank account.or i may not be allowed to open an account i was never aware of this thing called the CHEX system.when i came and cheked online what the hell it was ,its a cosumer reporting agency which report some thing like a fraud...mishandling of account etc . i dont why they have my name on the chexsystem???????. did any body have an exp like this if so waht r the consequences what can i do??? .what iam thinking is that since it is a new ssn , so therefore it might not be in the system i hope that is the only thing please advice

Did you ever had SSN or TIN before?, If not and you haven't received the social security card in mai, how did you get the social security number? I am not a lawyer, but if i were you I would wait till i get the SS Card and make sure the name & number on it is me, before trying to open a bank account.