Spouse Family Immigration Information

shaqiqr

Hi Attorney Rajiv,

Hello I’m Shaqiq from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have a query my wife is a US citizen but as her parents did not stay in US after their passport, so she had to come back to Dhaka, Bangladesh with her. Where she did job and studied. Now, she’s married and she wants to go back to US with me.

We want to settle now in US. What will be the process now and how your law office can help us with the process.

Unfortunately as she did not work in US, so was unable or unaware to file tax in US.

We have our cousins in US who are US Citizens and are wiling to sponsor me.

What will be the process now (How to do DCF or file petition for CR-1) and how your law office can help us with the full process including form fill or other supports.

Thank you in advance

As a US citizen, she is subject to US taxes on her worldwide income, no matter where she lives. She needs to file US tax returns if her income is more than a certain minimal level. She may be able to reduce her US taxes with the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and/or Foreign Tax Credit, but she still needs to file the tax return and report her income to claim that exclusion or credit. If she failed to file past tax returns when required, she should go back and file them ASAP.

For her to petition you, filing the I-130 petition is the first step. DCF is no longer available except in exceptional circumstances.