Spousal visa while living in Mexico

BrendaJoe

I am a Canadian citizen married last month in the USA to a US citizen. We have lived together in Mexico for 3 years. We both intend to move to the US in about 2 years. About one year before we move we will submit the application for the spousal visa. We do not want to use the US consulate in Juarez because of all the drug cartel problems and plus it is really far away from where we currently live. My question is can we travel to the US after applying for the visa and use the consulate in Montreal instead, even though we haven't lived there? I would like to attend my consular appointment in Montreal. I do have a friend's address we could use, but want to make sure this is a valid way of doing things. Once I got the green card, we would enter the US together. How long would it take to wait for the green card after the consular appointment? Thank you

I am a Canadian citizen married last month in the USA to a US citizen. We have lived together in Mexico for 3 years. We both intend to move to the US in about 2 years. About one year before we move we will submit the application for the spousal visa. We do not want to use the US consulate in Juarez because of all the drug cartel problems and plus it is really far away from where we currently live. My question is can we travel to the US after applying for the visa and use the consulate in Montreal instead, even though we haven't lived there? I would like to attend my consular appointment in Montreal. I do have a friend's address we could use, but want to make sure this is a valid way of doing things. Once I got the green card, we would enter the US together. How long would it take to wait for the green card after the consular appointment? Thank you[/QUOTE
I am a Canadian citizen married last month in the USA to a US citizen. We have lived together in Mexico for 3 years. We both intend to move to the US in about 2 years. About one year before we move we will submit the application for the spousal visa. We do not want to use the US consulate in Juarez because of all the drug cartel problems and plus it is really far away from where we currently live. My question is can we travel to the US after applying for the visa and use the consulate in Montreal instead, even though we haven't lived there? I would like to attend my consular appointment in Montreal. I do have a friend's address we could use, but want to make sure this is a valid way of doing things. Once I got the green card, we would enter the US together. How long would it take to wait for the green card after the consular appointment? Thank you

As a Canadian citizen you can stay in the US as a tourist without any problem for 6 months, however you cannot work. To have the green card, you should contact an attorney, meanwhile gather some proofs that you have a BonaFide marriage, you need the originals of the divorce decree of your husband, proof that he can support you.. Honestly Brenda, I do not want to discourage you but they are very strict and demands a lot of proofs if you want a green card, sounds to me you have a lot of things missing. Take it from a fellow Canadian who just completed successfully the green card process, you better have an attorney to guide you and help you through the process. Good Luck!