Sponsoring spouse

suraj18

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys
Any idea how long one has to wait to sponsor his/her spouse after landing Canada.

Suraj

same Boat....

hello suraj18,
I am also in the same situation as you.
I am planning to sponsor my wife from India.

My understanding is, you have to reside in Canada to sponsor your spouse. I also know that there is no economic criteria for spousal sponsorship. The minimum requirement is you should not be on welfare.

I was hoping someone could give me the timelines for sponsorship from India.

Thanks,

jaiJawan...:)

i would be curious to know about this as well. i thought, for family category sponsorship, you need to show support for 3 years or something? isn't that so?

in the meantime while her application is being processed, can the spouse come to canada on a visitor visa?

would she be allowed to come to canada by any other means?

or is there a dependent visa of some sort until she gets her permanent residency in canada?

where should the application be filed for spouse, under family category? in india or in canada?

thanks for your answers in advance.

It is not true that one has to wait for 3 years to sponsor his/her spouse. It may be true for sponsoring your parents but not for your spouse and chilfdren. I don't know whether one has to wait to sponsor his/her spouse till one gets his/her PR card or can apply immediately after landing in Canada.

Suraj

cnatar02,
PRs can sponsor their dependents right after landing, there is no time limitation. If an application for PR is under process, it is usually very difficult to get a visitor's visa. No such visa is available to dependents waiting for their immigration applications to complete. Family sponsorship has two parts, a sponsorship application which is filed in Canada and an application for permanent residence which is to be filed in India. Please check CIC website for more details on this process.