Sponsoring parents

cpgc

Registered Users (C)
If we sponsor Green cards for our parents will the brother/sister also automatically get GC as dependent of parents? Is there any age limit after which they will not be eligible as dependents of parents to get the green cards?
Thanks for all your responses.
cpgc

if your siblings are less than 21 years old and unmarried

they can get derivative immigration benefit as your parents\' immediate relatives. If they are over 21 but still unmarried, your parents can sponsor GC for them after they become US citizens. If your siblings are married, it is hardly possible to get family-based immigration

I have been informed otherwise

by an attorney. According to him the derivative status for chidren does not apply to Immediate Relatives of the sponsor. ie: If I sponsor my parents (as Immediate Relatives and not subject to Visa Priority Dates) then they can not bring their under 21 children with them. However, if I sponsor my brother or sister (not an Immediate Relative and subject to availability of Visa Numbers) then they CAN bring their under 21 children with them.

I would suggest that you get professional legal advice in this matter.

file for all family who are eligible

Assuming you and your spouse are both US Citizens, you should file I130 for each person who is eligible: parents, brother\'s, sisters, children. technically your minor, dependent brother/sister could ride on your parent\'s I-130, but if there is an accidental death, the I130 is automatically revoked and the "riders" lose the priority date and lose the visas. Some Embassy\'s require a separate I-130 for each person who is eligible to receive one from the petitioner, reasoning you know how many persons you can sponsor at once and give you only what you ask for. Make sure that the affidavit of support indicate all the parents and underage siblings in the total of family. i.e. your family is 4 (mom, dad, 2 children) your 4 parents and 6 minor siblings is a family of 14 to support. The US Embassy will probably total all of the people and evaluate the affidavit of support as a total, since they will immigrate as a family unit.