• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Social Security Number on DS260

Johnrogers

I have a SSN number that was issued on a previous travel to USA with a J1 VISA....this was issued like 10 years ago....So on the DS260 I completed that I have one but don't know the number...
Anybody know what type of verification they do? They check the SSN, stuff like credit report, credit history or they don't care about that stuff...I'm just concerned about this stuff because my identity was stolen and got some credit issues it appears i have some debts and some accounts went to collection.
Thank you

I have a SSN number that was issued on a previous travel to USA with a J1 VISA....this was issued like 10 years ago....So on the DS260 I completed that I have one but don't know the number...
Anybody know what type of verification they do? They check the SSN, stuff like credit report, credit history or they don't care about that stuff...I'm just concerned about this stuff because my identity was stolen and got some credit issues it appears i have some debts and some accounts went to collection.
Thank you

For immigration they won't care about debts, unless you fraudulently obtained credit intending to never repay it. However, when you return those old debts might be lurking to start you off with bad credit.

Thank you
It depends on when your identity was stolen. If you became delinquent 10 years ego, that stuff should not even be on your credit report anymore. Unless you had a bankruptcy (Chapter 7 stays for 10 years), all those negative items should have been removed from the report within 7 years. If collection agencies are still reporting outdated debt (which is common), it is quite easy to dispute.
You did right completing the DS260. However, if you want to check what's your credit report and try to rectify it, you would need your SSN. I do not know if there is a way to retrieve the number without your physical presence, I would try calling SSN office to see what can be done.
How do you know that your identity was stolen?

I received some emails saying that i was sued in civil court for debt by a collection company...somewhere around 18.000$.

I received some emails saying that i was sued in civil court for debt by a collection company...somewhere around 18.000$.

Did you lodge any disputes in response to that information or did you just let it go? Did you open a case of identity theft with the police? Any action at all about this?
Given what you say, how do you know that no-one is currently using your SSN?

Do u guys know what kind of info appears on your social security number?

The issue with identity theft is that people who have their identity stolen and have someone apply for credit in their name rarely have a clue about it until they see it on their credit report. Then if they do find there is an issue people don't just ignore it. It is odd that you got an email, it all sounds a bit "unusual". And then you seem concerned about what information appears on your SSN. That is an odd question also. It makes me feel that you knew more about the debt than you are letting on - but I'm not bothered one way or another.

Your SSN is a way (one of the ways) to identify you. Credit agencies hold information about your financial dealings stored against your credit file. There is obviously a concern/question you have about that but you are not being forthright, so it is difficult to answer you properly.

Precisely when did you receive the email and when did you depart from the U.S.? Did you receive phone calls from debt collectors prior to the email? Lenders and debt collectors typically start with harassing phone calls to get debts settled before resulting to civil law suits. When did you find out your ID had been stolen and like Susie asked above, did you inform the authorities about the possibility of your ID being stolen?

The issue with identity theft is that people who have their identity stolen and have someone apply for credit in their name rarely have a clue about it until they see it on their credit report. Then if they do find there is an issue people don't just ignore it. It is odd that you got an email, it all sounds a bit "unusual". And then you seem concerned about what information appears on your SSN. That is an odd question also. It makes me feel that you knew more about the debt than you are letting on.

Exactly where I was going with my line of questioning.

The issue with identity theft is that people who have their identity stolen and have someone apply for credit in their name rarely have a clue about it until they see it on their credit report. Then if they do find there is an issue people don't just ignore it. It is odd that you got an email, it all sounds a bit "unusual". And then you seem concerned about what information appears on your SSN. That is an odd question also. It makes me feel that you knew more about the debt than you are letting on - but I'm not bothered one way or another.

Your SSN is a way (one of the ways) to identify you. Credit agencies hold information about your financial dealings stored against your credit file. There is obviously a concern/question you have about that but you are not being forthright, so it is difficult to answer you properly.
Exactly where I was going with my line of questioning.

Yup, yup.

Would a debt judgement in the US be a problem for someone applying for an immigrant visa?

I didn't report anything...how should i do it? i was in US in 2005 on a J1 visa for 4 months, i had no contact with US since then....Anyway will see what happens if I get to the interview ...if i get the visa i'll deal with it when i go to USA...

I didn't report anything...how should i do it? i was in US in 2005 on a J1 visa for 4 months, i had no contact with US since then....Anyway will see what happens if I get to the interview ...if i get the visa i'll deal with it when i go to USA...

Who emailed you to tell you about being sued for debt collection?

Midland Funding LLC

"PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT A JUDGMENT HAS BEEN ENTERED AGAINST YOU FOR THE ABOVE JUDGMENT BALANCE SUPERIOR COURT, COUNTY OF .... , on 03/02/2015, DOCKET NO..." ETC ETC

They seem to be a buyer of unpaid bills (who then become the debtor). Quite a few complaints against them. If you do come back to the US it may be worth your while getting hold of one of the consumer advocacy groups who help people with them.
Unless you reported anything at the time I don't know how you can prove it was identity theft/not you so you need to look at it from that perspective too? From my quick browse it looks like these debts will stay on your record for 7 years (and from your post above this only just happened?). This could be a headache for you as you need your credit record for many things, like rental and phone agreements etc. in other words don't wait till you get to the U.S. to start dealing with it - get your ducks in a row before you land. Good luck.

Midland Funding LLC

"PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT A JUDGMENT HAS BEEN ENTERED AGAINST YOU FOR THE ABOVE JUDGMENT BALANCE SUPERIOR COURT, COUNTY OF .... , on 03/02/2015, DOCKET NO..." ETC ETC

So this just happened 3 weeks ago - well obviously if this is nothing to do with you, you fight it. You ask them to provide whatever proof they have of the debt being owed. They should be able to provide scans of whatever documentation exists. If you have been absent for 10 years you should be able to dispute their claim very simply - but get the evidence first.

So this just happened 3 weeks ago - well obviously if this is nothing to do with you, you fight it. You ask them to provide whatever proof they have of the debt being owed. They should be able to provide scans of whatever documentation exists. If you have been absent for 10 years you should be able to dispute their claim very simply - but get the evidence first.

The debt can be years old that they buy though - hence why I suggested he contact a group used to these guys.