• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Social Security Card

suaveplus

Hello All, I just got in to my new place of residence New Jersey (DV 2014 Winner). My issue is that everything I try to do they are asking for my SSN. Anyone knows if it will be sent to me automatic if so how long? Or do I have to apply for it locally, When I fill out the from for the Dv lottery I selected the box for a SSN so I'm thinking it will be mailed to me but I'm not sure!

Hello All, I just got in to my new place of residence New Jersey (DV 2014 Winner). My issue is that everything I try to do they are asking for my SSN. Anyone knows if it will be sent to me automatic if so how long? Or do I have to apply for it locally, When I fill out the from for the Dv lottery I selected the box for a SSN so I'm thinking it will be mailed to me but I'm not sure!

When did you land? SSN card usually arrives 1-2 weeks after entry, but on occasion it doesn't ...so I'd suggest pop down to your local SS office to check. They may be able to give you the number in the meanwhile too so you can start using it now.

So if you have your SSN number (not the card itself), would you be able to open a bank accound and the like, by just telling them the number ?

So if you have your SSN number (not the card itself), would you be able to open a bank accound and the like, by just telling them the number ?

Yes. No-one carries their card around with them, in fact you are warned not to.

I used to store it as a phone number in my phone, but this probably isn't recommended.

Well, there are various ways to "hide" important numbers as phone numbers. As long as it's not obvious. For example you can store it under Susie Q :D with an added digit or two that only you know about (like a 3 before the last 3 digits, or something).

It's a bloody silly system. It is supposed to be a bit secret, but you are constantly asked for your social as an identifier, so it is in all sorts of systems completely Inappropriately. Some people keep up the pretence that it is secret, other times you will be asked fr the number out loud when you are standing in the supermarket.

You may be asked for the card itself when opening a bank account by the way, or credit card account. My wife has lst hers (from 20 years ago). She was previously here as a student, so was entitled to one, but nw is on an H4 so is NOT entitled to one. In typical "stupid American" catch 22 the SSA would not replace the lost card, so that meant She coudn't get a credit card from Wells Fargo, even though she had a bank account with them and had joint accounts with me honestly, you couldn't make some of this stuff up...