[Silly Question] What does AP document look like?

princesskate

Registered Users (C)
(Just out of curiosity) Does it look like an EAD card or just a sheet of paper??? :rolleyes:

I'm still hesitating if I should apply for the AP - some of you might remember I had my AOS interview this month already but pending for FBI background check, while my F-1 visa expired in 10/05. I had my I-485 filed in 08/05 though. I wonder if the officer would question about the overstaying issue when I come back to US with AP...

It is just a piece of paper with your picture on the bottom. The ones from the service centers have the picture as part of the paper, and I understand the ones from the DO just have the picture glued to the paper.

princesskate said:
(Just out of curiosity) Does it look like an EAD card or just a sheet of paper??? :rolleyes:

I'm still hesitating if I should apply for the AP - some of you might remember I had my AOS interview this month already but pending for FBI background check, while my F-1 visa expired in 10/05. I had my I-485 filed in 08/05 though. I wonder if the officer would question about the overstaying issue when I come back to US with AP...

Think Twice before leaving US w/out GC, if you have overstayed your visa. As this can put 3/10 yr bar on you.
Hope this helps

Hi guys:

Thanks for the replies.

The main issue here is I'm not sure if I'm defined as "overstaying" or not since I was having a valid status when I applied for AOS.

If your status was legal when you filed for adjustment of status, you're not considered as having overstayed your visa.

You said your F-1 expired on 10/05 but you'd filed for adjustment on 08/05, which means that you never overstayed, and you're OK to leave the country on AP and get back :)

princesskate said:
while my F-1 visa expired in 10/05. I had my I-485 filed in 08/05 though.
When your F1 expired, your status changed from F1 to "I-485 pending status". You have not overstayed, or accumulated any illegal presence. You can still use your AP to travel.

Hi All,

Now that I am reading this post , i have my own questions about my visa status. I was on F-1 visa (OPT) which expired in 08.2005, however my lawyer applied for H-1b in May itself(i.e before expiring my OPT).My H-1 was approved in Sep 2005 (which I was in 60 days grace period then)and I applied my AOS in Nov 2005(FBI name check pendng).

So this means I overstayed my F-1 visa when i was waiting for my H-1 visa?
or Is it Ok as my H-1 has ND of May 2005?.

Thank you

curiousGeorge said:
When your F1 expired, your status changed from F1 to "I-485 pending status". You have not overstayed, or accumulated any illegal presence. You can still use your AP to travel.

Actually to be meticulous, her status switched to pending AOS when she filed the I-485, that is 2 months before :)

princesskate said:

FYI... see attached file.

Pinturicchio said:
Actually to be meticulous, her status switched to pending AOS when she filed the I-485, that is 2 months before :)
Incorrect. Applicants that apply for I-485 while on a visa that does not allow for dual intent like an F1, TN, or a B2 continue to have thier original status until either (a) the person's I-94 expires, (b) the person uses thier EAD to work, (c) the person uses thier AP to enter the United States, or (d) the I-485 is approved, whichever happens first. If the status is valid at the time that the I-485 is filed, it will continue to be valid until one of the 4 situations listed occurs. You may be correct in saying that the visa is no longer valid when the I-485 is filed, (for the purposes of re-entering the United States at least), but the status continues to be valid until A or B or C or D occur.

This is what happened to me when I adjusted from a TN which is very simlar to an F1 when it comes to filing an I-485.

curiousGeorge said:
Incorrect. Applicants that apply for I-485 while on a visa that does not allow for dual intent like an F1, TN, or a B2 continue to have thier original status until either (a) the person's I-94 expires, (b) the person uses thier EAD to work, (c) the person uses thier AP to enter the United States, or (d) the I-485 is approved, whichever happens first. If the status is valid at the time that the I-485 is filed, it will continue to be valid until one of the 4 situations listed occurs. You may be correct in saying that the visa is no longer valid when the I-485 is filed, (for the purposes of re-entering the United States at least), but the status continues to be valid until A or B or C or D occur.

This is what happened to me when I adjusted from a TN which is very simlar to an F1 when it comes to filing an I-485.

I'm so confused. :( So am I in a valid or invalid status now??????