Signature on Certificate of Naturalization

foggy

Registered Users (C)
I have yet to sign my certificate of naturalization. And I thought everything is now done and completed. Here is the dilemma.

When I went for my interview, there are places where the interviewer asked me to sign my full name i.e. first, last and middle name exactly as on the form N 400. When it was time to sign the 2 pictures, he said to just sign as I would normally do with my checks etc. So that was what I did.

Now I need to sign my certificate of naturalization. I found this on the website (http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html):

"You need to sign the certificate with your name exactly as it appears on the certificate. Don’t use the same abbreviated signature you use to sign checks, letters, or credit-card slips. For example, if the name on the certificate appears as John James Doe, then sign exactly like that "John James Doe." Even if you sign your name as John Doe or J. Doe or J.J. Doe, don’t sign it that way. To repeat, sign your name exactly as it appears on your Certificate of Naturalization. If you previously signed the photograph that is mounted to your Certificate of Naturalization, then sign your certificate using the exact same signature you used to sign your photograph, even if that signature does not match the full name shown on your certificate. "

Does this mean I sign my certificate with my shortened everyday signature since I signed my photo JDoe instead of Jane Smith Doe? E.g. JDoe as opposed to the full name signature Jane Smith Doe?????

Btw, my real full name on the certificate is very long ( Mary Jane Smith Lee Brown)

I would say to sign the certificate as you signed your photograph. I think nowadays people are being asked their regular signature on the photos. Most documentation still point to the traditional style. I don't think there is much to worry one way or another. I think the important thing is that there is a match between signature on photograph and on the certificate.

I would say to sign the certificate as you signed your photograph. I think nowadays people are being asked their regular signature on the photos. Most documentation still point to the traditional style. I don't think there is much to worry one way or another. I think the important thing is that there is a match between signature on photograph and on the certificate.

Thanks. I was leaning towards that way i.e. sign as on the photograph even if it is the scrawl signature. It just seems funny since it has no resemblance at all to my name.

My IO at the interview advised me to use my "real" signature on the photos so my one on the certificate would be the real one as well. I never sign my full name in any other avenue.

The signatures on the photo and certificate should match. That is the bottom line. I have asked several IOs about this during the oath process.

So however they made you sign the pictures is how you should sign the certificate. I know it differs from DO to DO.

IO asked me to sign on the photo during the interview process. Following day, same IO came for the Oath ceremony and advised every one that, the sign on the photo should match with the sign on the certificate. When I further checked with her as I did not use my full name on photo, she told me to sign the same on the picture. So mine is like Indian name. T. Name.

Even within the same DO different IOs follow different rules. I was asked by my IO to print my name on the photographs sideways. My wife who had a different IO was asked to sign in cursive her full name on the photos.

At our Oath Ceremony we were handed out printed instructions for signing the NC. The instructions said that we should sign the NC in cursive and with our full name.

As a result my NC (with printed name on photo) and my wife's NC (with cursive signature on photo) look different. But both of us signed the NC in cursive on the signature line.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my oath ceremony the IO told us to sign the NC the same way we signed the photos used for the naturalization certificate. He said that if the signature on the photo and the signature on the NC do not match, this may create problems with getting a U.S. passport. The IO claimed that this was "very important" and went over this point several times...

During my oath ceremony the IO told us to sign the NC the same way we signed the photos used for the naturalization certificate. He said that if the signature on the photo and the signature on the NC do not match, this may create problems with getting a U.S. passport. The IO claimed that this was "very important" and went over this point several times...

That has me really worried, as my IO asked me to PRINT my name in BLOCK LETTERS on my photographs, and one photograph is stuck on my NC which was sent with my passport application. I guess I have to wait and see. :confused:

That has me really worried, as my IO asked me to PRINT my name in BLOCK LETTERS on my photographs, and one photograph is stuck on my NC which was sent with my passport application. I guess I have to wait and see. :confused:

I think you should not be worried just yet. It sounds like the IO guys are giving out very inconsistent advice on this point and what really matters is how the Department of State treats this issue. I see that you have already applied for a passport so you'll get a response soon and hopefully everything will go smoothly and you'll get your passport with no problems. But even in the worst case (if DOS returns your passport application) you'll just have to apply for a replacement of the naturalization certificate by filing N-565. Hopefully this will not be necessary, though.

prithis, my bet goes that you won't have any issues. The recommendation is to sign the certificate the same way you sign your photos. This I guess it's done mostly to show that the same person who went to the interview is the one who went to the oath and got the certificate. However, I haven't seen anybody being rejected or having to apply for N-565 due to signature on certificate.

I had my interview yesterday (6-04-09) at Tampa, DO and the IO instructed me to sign the N-400 and my photos with my regular cursive signature I use to sign my checks, driver's license and other documents NOT with my whole name (name, middle name, last name). He said, as long as the photos and signature on N-400 match, it would be okay. Now, I think I will have to do the same with my Naturalization Certificate.

IO showed me how to signed my photos, so I signed my name in capital letters on photos, during oath they told us repeatedly not to sign NC with fancy signature, if agency do not like your signature, we will need a new NC, so again I sign my name in capital letters.
Now I want to know, how I shall signed my passport, I usually sign my full name in courser but not capital letters, can I sign different than what I sign my NC and passport application, because when at port of entry when they swipe my passport, my signature on IO computer screen may be different than the one on passport, and this can cause be delay.
What you guys think?

I had my oathtaking on July 3, 2009. They gave us the Naturalization Certificate inserted on a clear plastic envelope and together they included a sheet of paper with some instructions, here are two of them:

"If there are no errors, (meaning on your certificate), please sign your certificate along the line that says "Complete and true signature of bearer." You should sign your certificate exactly the same way you signed your photo on your certificate in black or blue ink."

"Please take care of your certificate. We suggest that you make a copy of your certificate and keep it in a safe place."

When I had my interview, the IO instructed me to print my name on the photos in block letters. At the oath, I was instructed to sign the certificate with my regular signature. I really don't think it matters how you sign it.

During my interview I was asked by IO to print my name, not sign, on the photograph. I printed my name in block letters on the photograph. During the oath ceremony, the IO insisted to sign the NC exactly as in photograph. So, I printed my name, in block letters, in my NC. I signed my passport the way I usually sign.

An interesting thing to note is, in my NC there is a stamping in RED that specifically states not to make copies or photograph the certificate. But, as noted by rjmco, they suggest to make a copy and keep it safe.

An interesting thing to note is, in my NC there is a stamping in RED that specifically states not to make copies or photograph the certificate. But, as noted by rjmco, they suggest to make a copy and keep it safe.

The red note refers to copying for a fradulent purpose. It's perfectly legal to make a copy for personal use. In fact, should you ever lose the original, having a copy will help facilitate the process of getting a replacement.

It doesnt matter..only they should match

Guys,

On my N-400 IO made me sign the way I sign cheques. On my nat certificate I signed my full name first/middle/last. Then I was worried sick as it is not as per N-400.

I asked the IO how I should sign hereafter to which her reply was
"This is for today, after today sign any way you want".

long story short, I got my PP, and my OCI and everything is good.

Don't worry about it. There is no agreement between IOs on how one should sign.

Good luck!

and by the way at the oath ceremony one officer said "we authorize you to make as many copies as you want color/b/w of the NC".

Please can somebody know where the oath ceremony is going to be hold on august 09 if name change Durant n400?

Please can somebody know where the oath ceremony is going to be hold on august 09 if name change Durant n400?

I think you posted in the wrong thread. You probably wanted to post this in the citizenship forum and for a specific local office thread. I don't think anybody can answer your question in this thread.