• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Should I wait and try again?

Joanne81

Hi,
I have just found your website and it is very helpful. But I have a couple of questions. I was selected for the DV-2015 in May 2014 but only heard about the interview recently which is at the end of June.
Firstly on booking the medical for the interview I was informed that I may need boosters for any vaccines I may have had. This is not something I want to do so would anyone have any information/help on filling for an exemption due to moral reasons?

Also, I will not really be in a position to permanently move to the US for about 2 years. So would the visa end up being cancelled due to me not being in the country? Also, I just read that once the greencard is activated I would need to lodge tax returns even if overseas. As a side to this, what is the expected amount needed as proof of finances for the interview?
Any help would be really appreciated.
Joanne

Ps, sorry meant to say, should I cancel the interview (and hopefully someone who is in a better position will get the spot)? And if so what is the best process for that? Or should I see what happens?

Last edited:
The first item you have is dead in the water. To file a waiver you will need to not have the vaccines, go to the interview, get refused, then file a waiver, then bring it back and try again. Even if your consulate would be willing to give you a second interview slot, with a June interview there is very little chance you'd complete all that before the end of the fiscal year and if you don't get a visa by then, it's gone. Filing a waiver takes time, as does filing anything with uscis.

So mull that over, and if you decide that going to the U.S. is worth a booster or two, then we can address the other questions ;)

Last edited:
Incidentally, while I don't know the legalities of this, you are talking about boosters which implies you were vaccinated before, which may make getting a successful personal belief exemption more difficult.

Hi Susie, thank you for your reply. I thought that might be the case from reading other posts about having to return with needed papers etc. I really do need to think about this, I will wait to see what may be needed before I make a decision. But truthfully I am 99% sure I will not accept any vaccinations.

The previous vaccinations were given to me when I was under parental supervision as a child. The last one which was about 10/12 years ago was before I educated myself about vaccines and before I had created an opinion on them.

thank you again for you reply. The whole process was way more than I expected it to be :)

Well, to be honest you would find a lot of opposition to that view once you arrived especially if you have kids one day.
California for example has just passed a bill outlawing personal belief waivers for vaccines as parents are tired of their kids being at risk after the recent outbreaks. The current thought mode is definitely in favor of public health concerns rather than personal beliefs.
So yes maybe better for you to look at other options...

Hi,
I have just found your website and it is very helpful. But I have a couple of questions. I was selected for the DV-2015 in May 2014 but only heard about the interview recently which is at the end of June.
Firstly on booking the medical for the interview I was informed that I may need boosters for any vaccines I may have had. This is not something I want to do so would anyone have any information/help on filling for an exemption due to moral reasons?

Also, I will not really be in a position to permanently move to the US for about 2 years. So would the visa end up being cancelled due to me not being in the country? Also, I just read that once the greencard is activated I would need to lodge tax returns even if overseas. As a side to this, what is the expected amount needed as proof of finances for the interview?
Any help would be really appreciated.
Joanne

Ps, sorry meant to say, should I cancel the interview (and hopefully someone who is in a better position will get the spot)? And if so what is the best process for that? Or should I see what happens?

"should I cancel the interview (and hopefully someone who is in a better position will get the spot)?"
Yes, I believe this would be the right and ethical thing to do in your position. If your interview has been scheduled already, inform the US consulate, if your case is still with KCC, let them know that you are not planning to pursue your application any further.

Since you're strongly against getting vaccinated, I agree the ethical thing to do will be to let go of this opportunity and let someone else who is likely to succeed make better use of it, just like others have suggested. The truth is even if you weren't running a race against time, the waver will most likely be rejected, there's an ongoing big battle being waved against anti-vaccers in the U.S. at the moment. There's no way they will let in a new immigrant who is against vaccination when the government is currently battling against citizens and current residents who are against vaccinations.

On the cancelled visa point, once you enter the US, you can leave again for up to a year with no problems. Alternatively, you can apply for a re-entry permit, which will allow you to stay outside the US for up to 2 years without being presumed to have abandoned your Green Card. Getting the re-entry permit takes a while. You must file the application from inside the US. You then have to wait about 6 weeks for a biometric appointment, where you have your photo and fingerprints taken. You are then free to leave the US for up to two years. You can specify that you want the re-entry permit sent to any US embassy overseas for you to pick it up. It's all a bit of a hassle but if you're going to be ready to make the move in 2 years, it's a far better option than risking not being selected in the lottery again.

On the tax point, I used H&R Block's expat tax services (see, https://www.hrblock.com/expat-tax-preparation/). It's all done online and over the phone (at their expense) and they'll prepare and file your application for you for around US$550.

On the vaccination point, if you're comfortable with your beliefs and willing to give this opportunity up for them (which, as has been pointed out, is what you'll be doing), then good luck to you.

On the tax point, I used H&R Block's expat tax services (see, https://www.hrblock.com/expat-tax-preparation/). It's all done online and over the phone (at their expense) and they'll prepare and file your application for you for around US$550.

I've been submitting my US tax returns using turbotax online for $30 since 2008. Even though I don't live there and I'm not a resident, I like to keep the IRS machinery "lubricated" for my return.

Turbo tax is very easy.

(I skip the state tax returns since I don't actually live in a state.)

I've been submitting my US tax returns using turbotax online for $30 since 2008. Even though I don't live there and I'm not a resident, I like to keep the IRS machinery "lubricated" for my return.

Turbo tax is very easy.

(I skip the state tax returns since I don't actually live in a state.)
Hi there, Right absolutely. Unfortunately for some, Turbotax and other mainstream DIY offerings only do Resident Returns and do not deal with US Non-Resident Returns, which might be a requirement in some cases. I found one software application several years ago, when I had to do a non-resident return for the first six month of our time in the US and then switched to resident federal + state returns, as soon as that turned out to be advantageous, including the implicit requirement to declare worldwide income in the US, which is not the case for non-resident returns. Hence, it probably depends on specific circumstances whether TurboTax et al work from the bat or just after full US tax residence has been established through activated LPR status.

Last edited:
thank you again for that.
In regards to the embassy interview, do I need to have proof of finances? What type of proof is needed? And is there a minimum amount.

This whole thing has really affected me, do I go for my dream or let my beliefs control the decision....was not expecting this challenge

I don't know if this will help you work this through but one of the things I have to do in my job is to conduct proportionality analyses. In your case, it would go something like this...

You have two competing objectives:
  1. Move to the US.
  2. Avoid vaccinations.
You cannot achieve both. If you want to move to the US, there is nothing you can do apart from have the vaccinations. If you want to not have the vaccinations, you have no option other than not moving to the US.

What you are left with is a weighing and balancing problem. How much weight to you attach to each of the options you have?

It seems to me that:
  1. Not moving to the US is a large thing to give up (especially if it's your dream).
  2. Being able to choose not to have vaccinations is a small thing to give up (remember, we talking about relative weight here, not objective importance).
Importantly, you should also consider risk. If you don't have the vaccinations, the risk of not moving to the US is 100%. If you move to the US, the risk to your health of having the vaccinations might be 1% (just guessing a figure, don't quote me on that) and the risk of compromising your principles is 100%.

So, the question is, is not moving to the US proportionate to maintaining freedom from vaccinations, or alternatively, is the chance of moving to the US and living your dream proportionate to giving up one of your principles (temporarily) and the (tiny) risk to your health.

Your analysis may well be different, but I find that thinking in this way just gives structure to an otherwise difficult process.

Good luck!

thank you so much for that. A similar thinking has been pointed out to me today also.
I appreciate your input on this, it is definite food for thought. Thank you

The anti vaccinations thing is amazing to me. So anyone is entitled to say no to vaccinations but I for one am very glad that the US immigration laws protect us from people who are happy to expose others to risks by carrying preventable diseases into the country. Remember vaccinations not only protect you, they protect others too.

So I have decided to put my beliefs aside and go for it. I just need to confirm a few things about the documents that are needed for the interview.

For the education requirements, what exactly is needed? Should I request a copy of my degree/diploma from my college or is a print of results needed also? Should I a completion cert from school also? I don't think we received a diploma from school like in the US.
Also, do I need to take a copy of the police certs that I have? I have not opened either (one from where I am from and another Australia where I spent 2 years)

I saw on another post somewhere that we should bring a postal envelope with us, is that needed?

Has anyone been through the process in the Dublin embassy?

So I have decided to put my beliefs aside and go for it. I just need to confirm a few things about the documents that are needed for the interview.

For the education requirements, what exactly is needed? Should I request a copy of my degree/diploma from my college or is a print of results needed also? Should I a completion cert from school also? I don't think we received a diploma from school like in the US.
Also, do I need to take a copy of the police certs that I have? I have not opened either (one from where I am from and another Australia where I spent 2 years)

I saw on another post somewhere that we should bring a postal envelope with us, is that needed?

Has anyone been through the process in the Dublin embassy?

Well, first can I say well done (and without wanting to debate it too much here, just to point out that science > internet pseudoscience ;) and you're on the right side of the equation now :) )

On your selection letter there is a link to the dvselectee website with a list of the documents you need, and links to the "reciprocity by country" pages that explain how to get things like police certificates from outside countries. It's not clear how old the ones that you have are but they should be fairly recent if possible.
Off the top of my head (but double check on the dvselectee pages)
You need your high school completion certificate and preferably college diplomas too.
Full birth certificate.
Passport and photos.
Originals and copies of all docs.

Things like envelopes and DHL registration etc are all embassy specific so check the Dublin embassy website and see via the dvselectee website if there are any specific instructions for Dublin.

Thank you Susie,

I will go to my college and school for both. I was not sure whether to open the police certs but I will and take a copy of both.

The nerves have kicked in now and the interview isn't until June 30th :)

Well, first can I say well done (and without wanting to debate it too much here, just to point out that science > internet pseudoscience ;) and you're on the right side of the equation now :) )
Agreed. Well done. For what it's worth, I think you've made a wise decision.

No need to be nervous though. Remember, as long as you fulfil the criteria, you're entitled to this visa. The interviewer's purpose isn't to trip you up, it's only to ensure that you do actually fulfil the requirements. If you do, the interviewer has very little (if any?) discretion in whether or not to grant it to you.