Should I staple the N-400 application or just use a clip?

I would advise against stapling.

If you really want to make it friendly for the USCIS, use the two hole punch AT THE TOP of the document as that is how they have their files.

I just left mine as is (no holes, no staples, no clips except paper clip to hold the checks up front) but put it in the order how it was supposed to be in - when had a chance to glance over the file, it was exactly how I put it together with the two-hole punch at the top.

ISN said:
Should I staple the N-400 application or just use a clip?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you got way too much time on your hands if you're worrying about how to keep the pages together. Isn't that what the envelope is for?

In states ,Any Gov and state offices preffers you not to staple any documents.Clip is fine .Binder clips are perfect for thicker documents.Also no question is too dumb.If you are not sure.It is worth asking.Good Luck

I didn't staple anything, nor used any paper clips. I think the envelope does a good job of keeping things together. They were able to cash the check and so far the process is chugging along. I know that we keep complaining about USCIS, but let's give them some credit too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is better to ask if you are in doubt rather than to be sorry later, the whole point of having this discussion forum is to share others experience.

boatbod said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you got way too much time on your hands if you're worrying about how to keep the pages together. Isn't that what the envelope is for?

CroatAM is exactly right.
Use a two hole punch with a 2" prong paper fastner (available at Office Depot and other stationary stores) and put the papers in order to make it easy for the mail rom guys who put together the file. I would also staple the check at the left hand bottom side of the N-400 first page.
That is how the USCIS does it and they appreciate people who help them in this manner. The photographs may be put in a transparent envelope and the two hole punch should work here as well.
I saw this advise 7 years back at the TSC website for putting together I-485 papers and it has never failed me.
Good luck! :)

Application and staple

Early this year I sent in my papers (N-400 application). I did staple the application form which had 10 separate sheets.