Should I mention to them about Traffic tickets on Oath Ceremony?

camilla20999

I have been searched for this forum about my questions for a while but still could not find the answer. Hope some one can help me with my problem
Here is The issue I have right now.
I got a Bad day today. After receiving my Oath letter today, I received a traffic ticket (for running over the red light) as well. :mad::eek::mad: This is My first traffic ticket for the past five years. I passed the interview on Oct.19. My oath date is on Dec.07th,2009. It indicated question on the Oath Letter about "Have you ever been cited..? something like that. Now I was wondering if I should report to them at Oath Ceremony that I have one traffic violation that just happened when I receive my oath letter. I don't know what to do !!!! :(:(:(Please Help me .. Thanks so much.

08/24/09 -----Application received
10/19/09------ Interview passed
11/18/09-------Oath letter received
12/07/09-------Oath Ceremony date

12/07/2009 oath ceremony date in Tampa. Just wanna let you guys know that I have no problems when I went to Oath Ceremony that day. I explained to them that I received a traffic tickets prior to Oath, but they don't seem to care anything about it, They also didn't ask me for proof of payment even I already had it with me while I was at the Ceremony. The main Speaker (officer) who hold the ceremon even said that if you received a tickets after the interview date and before the ceremony date, don't even mention it if it was less than $500. And I got my Certification of Naturalization on that day. Anyway, just wanna let other people aware of similar situation if they encounter in the future. And Thank you all for your help !!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you pay the ticket, then Yes, you need to mention your ticket. They will ask you for proof of payment.

If you fight the ticket and the ticket is dismissed, then you do not need to mention your ticket. Note: If you plan to fight the ticket and the court date is after the oath ceremony then I am not sure if your oath will be delayed or not (i doubt it will, but other users can advice).

Don't worry, this is not going to disqualify you from taking an oath.

I have been searched for this forum about my questions for a while but still could not find the answer. Hope some one can help me with my problem
Here is The issue I have right now.
I got a Bad day today. After receiving my Oath letter today, I received a traffic ticket (for running over the red light) as well. :mad::eek::mad: This is My first traffic ticket for the past five years. I passed the interview on Oct.19. My oath date is on Dec.07th,2009. It indicated question on the Oath Letter about "Have you ever been cited..? something like that. Now I was wondering if I should report to them at Oath Ceremony that I have one traffic violation that just happened when I receive my oath letter. I don't know what to do !!!! :(:(:(Please Help me .. Thanks so much.

08/24/09 -----Application received
10/19/09------ Interview passed
11/18/09-------Oath letter received
12/07/09-------Oath Ceremony date

Updated: Please Ignore - I've changed my position. Go ahead and go for the Oath. (Preferably with proof of payment of the ticket/traffic school)

Assuming you can't get this dismissed before your Oath date, POSTPONE your Oath. Depending on the jurisdiction it may take a couple of weeks just to get it into the court system, but once its in, you can complete the online traffic school in 2-3 hours, have them overnight the certificate, and walk it down to the courthouse to get your citation dismissed.

Once you've cleared your ticket, you won't have a problem.

I don't think they'll let you take the Oath with an open citation - actually, they may even deny your application as inelegible for naturalization 'at the instant of denial'. You won't be able to appeal that decision as it will be correct - i.e. at the instantof denial you had an open citation - hence you were inelegible for naturalization - You'll have to file your N-400 again. :-( (I'd rather postpone my Oath)

I don't know the exact verbiage on the Oath letter, bit if it asks whether you were cited, IMO, you have to declare this ticket irrespective of whether you fight it and win or pay it and get it dismissed.

Don't just pay your ticket off and skip traffic school to get your citizenship quicker as it'll cost you additional hundreds/thousands of dollars over the next few years in increased insurance premiums.

Sorry you have to go through this. I'll be driving carefully for the next few months.

I don't think they'll let you take the Oath with an open citation - actually, they may even deny your application as inelegible for naturalization 'at the instant of denial'. You won't be able to appeal that decision as it will be correct - i.e. at the instantof denial you had an open citation - hence you were inelegible for naturalization -
Where are getting your info from and what is "instant of denial" ? Having an open minor traffic citation does not make you ineligible for naturalization.

They wouldn't deny your application for a minor traffic ticket between interview and oath. Generally, USCIS does not care about minor traffic tickets and not declaring it is safe (as long as you take care of it before or after oath). If you do decide to declare it, some IOs may request proof of payment or at worst delay your oath until you can provide evidence it was taken care of.

Where are getting your info from and what is "instant of denial" ? Having an open minor traffic citation does not make you ineligible for naturalization.

They wouldn't deny your application for a minor traffic ticket between interview and oath. Generally, USCIS does not care about minor traffic tickets and not declaring it is safe (as long as you take care of it before or after oath). If you do decide to declare it, some IOs may request proof of payment or at worst delay your oath until you can provide evidence it was taken care of.

:) Actually from your own comments from This thread explaining that if denied, why an appeal probably won't work.

...The denial was most likely based on the fact that your sentence was not completed before the oath ceremony. If you attempt an appeal of the original decision, I don't think it would be overturned since it was based on the original circumstance. Your appeal would have to show how the original USCIS decision was incorrect, not how your circumstance has now changed. It would have been better for you to try to delay the oath until after your court date in December...

In that case too the 'crime' did not make the person ineligible from naturalization - they were forced to re-apply and approved the second time without any problems.

The question is, does the OP want to be the test case for traffic tickets.

Also, my suggestion to postpone was based on the assumption that the OP cannot take care of the ticket before the Oath. If they can, there is no issue at all.

What is the consequnce of not disclosing it, taking oath, and being found out
of not disclosing later?

and what of you tell that you have a ticket and promise you will take care of it
but then ignore it after becoming a citizen?

:) Actually from your own comments from This thread explaining that if denied, why an appeal probably won't work.

...The denial was most likely based on the fact that your sentence was not completed before the oath ceremony. If you attempt an appeal of the original decision, I don't think it would be overturned since it was based on the original circumstance. Your appeal would have to show how the original USCIS decision was incorrect, not how your circumstance has now changed. It would have been better for you to try to delay the oath until after your court date in December...

In that case too the 'crime' did not make the person ineligible from naturalization - they were forced to re-apply and approved the second time without any problems.

The question is, does the OP want to be the test case for traffic tickets.

Also, my suggestion to postpone was based on the assumption that the OP cannot take care of the ticket before the Oath. If they can, there is no issue at all.
Probation for a crime is not analogous to an unpaid parking ticket. In other words, having a unpaid ticket would not cause a denial, whereas not having completed probation for a crime would. They are two very different things.

Probation for a crime is not analogous to an unpaid parking ticket. In other words, having a unpaid ticket would not cause a denial, whereas not having completed probation for a crime would. They are two very different things.

OK.
If it were me I'd postpone until I get all matters in front of law enforcement resolved. But perhaps that's just me.

OK.
If it were me I'd postpone until I get all matters in front of law enforcement resolved. But perhaps that's just me.

If you want to postpone it, then you have nothing to lose by just going
to oath (only cost of gas and car depreciation which perhaps no one cares
that much)

It won't make difference if the papplicant postpone it or the USCIS postpone it so that you do notr have to postpont it yourself. Just go to oath and
tell them you have a ticket and court date is after today so you can not
have it handled. If the USCIS allow you oath, then everything is over. If
USCIS postpone it, it won't make any difference if you decide to postpoine
it anyway

And I don't think the timeline for recheduled oath is different whether it is you or USCIS
to postpoone the initial oath.

Fair Enough. Upon further thought (and reading the other comments), go ahead to the Oath ceremony (preferably with a receipt of payment of your ticket).

I guess as long as your ticket is paid up and you have the receipt, it doesn't matter whether you complete traffic school before the Oath date or not.

Isn't the rule that the USCIS wants to know of driving/ticket infringements if they are over $500 and or you have been incarcerated??

Thanks for help. I have paid the traffic ticket which costs $250 and right now I am in the process of completing online course. Should I still have to postpone the Oath ceremony>???

No need to postpone oath. Just bring evidence of payment to oath in case they ask for it. You'll be fine..good luck !

Thanks for help. I have paid the traffic ticket which costs $250 and right now I am in the process of completing online course. Should I still have to postpone the Oath ceremony>???

Nope. No need to postpone. Go for your Oath ceremony and take evidence of payment with you. You won't have any problems.

Isn't the rule that the USCIS wants to know of driving/ticket infringements if they are over $500 and or you have been incarcerated??

They want to know of ALL your tickets, They only ask you to provide proof of disposition from the courts for tickets > $500.

But if the ticket isn't in the system (It took 6 weeks for my last ticket to get entered into the court system) then you won't know the actual amount of the ticket.

They want to know of ALL your tickets, They only ask you to provide proof of disposition from the courts for tickets > $500.

But if the ticket isn't in the system (It took 6 weeks for my last ticket to get entered into the court system) then you won't know the actual amount of the ticket.

Ohhh ok.
Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying this. :)