Selective Status Letter

cp-gc

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends,

I sent a letter to SSS requesting status letter.

This is my info: Date of Birth : Jan 1975

Came to USA 08/96 on Student Visa
Was on H1 Visa from 10/98 till July 2001
Was on GC from July 2001 till date

So at the time of GC I was 26.5 yrs old.

I dont remember ever registering with SSS, and now I understand I dont need to as I was GC only after 26th Bday.

I sent a letter to SSS and got back response with
SSS Number and effective date as June 97

I dont remember ever registering but who knows what form I filled in 1997.
I know around that time I had applied for Student Practical training.

What do I do now ? By the time I apply for USC I will be over 31 anyways..

please advise.

cp-gc,

JoeF clarified your question in
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=142692

Since you were over 26 you did not have to register with SSS. You did not. And thats the right thing. What are you worring about here? There is no connection between you and SSS and no requirement for such either!

If you got your GC in 7/01, the earliest you can apply is 4/06 (unless you were married to a USC). Thats 1.5 years away.... Proactive is your middle name I guess :cool:

Only thing I was concerned was the letter from SSS ....!!!
Does this mean I registered by mistake ?

-------------------------------------

Dear Mr. XXXX

You are registered with following information:

Name : XXXX
Selective Service Number : Valid Number here
Effective date: 06-08-1997
Date Of Birth 01/1975

Once a man is registered, his only obligation is to keep the Selective Service System notified of changes in his address until he reaches age 26

Sincerely,
J martin
Acting director

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you registered in error. Though its not going to matter in the future, You must correct this. The best place to start is by calling customer service.

I had registered twice with SSS in error. I called them and the rep deleted one entry right there on the phone.. Pretty helpful.. Try them out

R

Rahul Kumar said:
cp-gc,

Since you were over 26 you did not have to register with SSS. You did not.

:

yes, but how come I have a selective service number and a effective date ?

Rahul Kumar said:
And thats the right thing. What are you worring about here? There is no connection between you and SSS and no requirement for such either!

:

I am worrying about the response with my selective service number and effective date ;-(

Rahul Kumar said:
If you got your GC in 7/01, the earliest you can apply is 4/06 (unless you were married to a USC). Thats 1.5 years away.... Proactive is your middle name I guess :cool:

I am trying to be proactive as I want to go back to desh after USC.

Best of luck cp-gc. Let us know how u deal with this one.

PS: If you are going back to Desh just remember you have to file worldwide income. I think that upto $80,000/year you dont get double taxed.. Also its a good idea to stay in the US for a year atleat after CZ before you pack up

Take care

Rahul Kumar said:

PS: If you are going back to Desh just remember you have to file worldwide income. I think that upto $80,000/year you dont get double taxed.. Also its a good idea to stay in the US for a year atleat after CZ before you pack up

Take care

I will keep you all updated.

Any links on the world wide income stuff you mentioned ?
Also why do you say its better to stay 1 year after CZ ? any problems ?

There used to be a law (now repealed) that put your CZ in jeopardy if you moved to your country of origin within a year of Natz...

Just like a good rule of thumb for changing jobs after GC is 6 months, this is about 1 year. Also i was looking at the wordings in the Natz certificate. It mentions that the person intends to live in the US. Packing up immdly after the oath is not a good idea.

JoeF... Anything to add?

Rahul Kumar said:

Take care

Hi All,

I spoke to SSS representative, she mentioned that I need not have registered but since I did that doesnt matter. She mentioned when you are on student visa you dont have to register, but you can if you want - no big deal. She said it will not affect anything as I got GC after 26th Bday.

What do you all think ? Do I have to have the waiver letter ?