"Selective Service" restricting my Financial Aid

TrinPrince

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am 1 month into my semester at Full Sail University in Winter Park Florida. Up to this point, I had successfully completed my FAFSA, and applied for Stafford (Subsidized/Unsubsidized) loans. I was eligible.

Today I received a fairly rigid email from my new financial aid representative via Full Sail University. She stated that after all my efforts; aid was not going to be giving to me. Why? Because I did not register for “Selective Service”.

My immigration status during 18yrs-26yrs was the pinnacle barrier in regards to the “Selective Service” issue I’m currently having. To understand why I did not register for “Selective Service” please see this brief timeline:

Timeline: I came to the USA from Trinidad (West Indies) in 1983. The correct immigration papers were filed. Waited 14 years (1997), my parents and sibling got their green cards (I did not get anything. USCIS’s new rule had “Phased” me out due to my age). I had to wait 10 more years to get this troublesome card (received my green card in December 2006 due to “EXTREME HARDSHIP” as categorized by the USCIS).

The aforementioned timeline states I had to wait 25years for my legal documents. During those 25 years, I had zero rights. I could not vote, get financial aid for school, no social security #, no driver’s license, no credit history/score, could not except employment, could not join the military, too many to list…..

When we were notified about selective services in high-school, I attempted to visit the post office to fill out voting and selective service forms The postal worker stated that I needed a social security number to complete both forms. I had no issued social security number. This aligned with all the other things I wanted to do but couldn’t, due to my severe immigration restrictions.

Now that I’ve solved my complex immigration issues, I’m 32yrs old and have returned to school. To take away my financial aid simply because I was told I could not register and was absolutely unaware that immigrants pending status adjustment had to register is extremely stern.

Can anyone advise me in this regard?

Depressed
TrinPrince

Hello,

I am 1 month into my semester at Full Sail University in Winter Park Florida. Up to this point, I had successfully completed my FAFSA, and applied for Stafford (Subsidized/Unsubsidized) loans. I was eligible.

Today I received a fairly rigid email from my new financial aid representative via Full Sail University. She stated that after all my efforts; aid was not going to be giving to me. Why? Because I did not register for “Selective Service”.

My immigration status during 18yrs-26yrs was the pinnacle barrier in regards to the “Selective Service” issue I’m currently having. To understand why I did not register for “Selective Service” please see this brief timeline:

Timeline: I came to the USA from Trinidad (West Indies) in 1983. The correct immigration papers were filed. Waited 14 years (1997), my parents and sibling got their green cards (I did not get anything. USCIS’s new rule had “Phased” me out due to my age). I had to wait 10 more years to get this troublesome card (received my green card in December 2006 due to “EXTREME HARDSHIP” as categorized by the USCIS).

The aforementioned timeline states I had to wait 25years for my legal documents. During those 25 years, I had zero rights. I could not vote, get financial aid for school, no social security #, no driver’s license, no credit history/score, could not except employment, could not join the military, too many to list…..

When we were notified about selective services in high-school, I attempted to visit the post office to fill out voting and selective service forms The postal worker stated that I needed a social security number to complete both forms. I had no issued social security number. This aligned with all the other things I wanted to do but couldn’t, due to my severe immigration restrictions.

Now that I’ve solved my complex immigration issues, I’m 32yrs old and have returned to school. To take away my financial aid simply because I was told I could not register and was absolutely unaware that immigrants pending status adjustment had to register is extremely stern.

Can anyone advise me in this regard?

Depressed
TrinPrince

First of all, the the SSS rules have been very clear that as an undocumented alien you MUST register. Second, they will register someone who does not have a social security number. The above two rules are very clear. Did you read the SSS form carefully when you were in high school?

Now, no use weeping about the past. All you can do now is to do damage control. You can try to convince the Financial Aid Office that your failure to register was not "knowing and willful." If you can do that then you will get your financial aid. Remember the school makes the final call on this. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh

ooh my goodness trini prince i am so sorry that you had to wait that long for your greencard. you must of been feeling lost in this world can't make a move without this single card. I am trinidadian also well there is no need to dwell in the past. I reallly hope you financial aid situation work out and I know it will definitely you deserve it you have a lot of luck comin your way. Do you have and email address.