Security/Name Check after the Citizenship Interview

hm11

Registered Users (C)
As many applicant's are waiting for their Oath, I suggest that we should start a new discussion thread on security/name check.

Some of the questions we should disscuss are:

-How long you have neen waiting for the Oath?
-Do you have a common name?
-Did you call any agency to check the status of your oath notification?
-Did you seek any help from any congressman/senator?

Any info or advice, plz share. It will help lots of "confused" & "frustrated" n-400 applicants.

Thanks.

PD Jan 2003
FP April 2003
Interview July, 2003
Oath waiting??????? Reason FBI name chk pending since FEB, 2003.

Tried congressman and sent many Faxes to FBI-washington--------reply ----------name chk pending

:mad: :(

Hi ibm101,

Did you ask for name change in the application?
Do you have a common name or any traffic tickets etc.?

Or do you have a just regular case with no complications in the past?

What is your attorney or Congressman's office input on this issue?

Plz keep us posted w/ the latest.

Thanks.

From what I gather, one doesn't have to have a so called "common" name to get stuck in the name-check hole. Even if you have a german name (far from Osama or Atta) you can get stuck.

Also my other impression is that the real bottleneck is the INS, not the FBI. It takes FBI some time to clear the name, indeed, but then they send it to INS and they don't have anything in place to process these promptly.

My interview is coming up on Wednesday and I will let you know. FYI I checked the SSA'a "database of dead people" and there was only one person with my last name who died in the US in 1800's. I guess my last name is not that usual but we will see.

Just my $0.02

GeorgeF,

can u post the link for the databse of dead persons?

The things we have to do get our citizenship!!!!:confused:

Originally posted by hm11
Hi ibm101,

Did you ask for name change in the application?.... NO
Do you have a common name or any traffic tickets etc.? ....NEVER

Or do you have a just regular case with no complications in the past? ....YES SIMPLE CASE

What is your attorney or Congressman's office input on this issue? FBI name chk pending. .....Try enquiring in JUne 2004

Plz keep us posted w/ the latest. ......yes, I will

Thanks.
.............2 u 2

Originally posted by Rahul Kumar
GeorgeF,

can u post the link for the databse of dead persons?

The things we have to do get our citizenship!!!!:confused:

Try starting at

genealogy.about.com

You can go directly to RootsWeb.com

or, if you feel like you want to explore things type "Social Security Death Index" into Google and have fun.
(I still can't believe only one person with my last name :)

I called FBI today and was told that my name check was done and report sent to USCIS on 23rd Aug 03. My PD - 6th Aug 03, FP sept - 17th 03.

When FBI says "the name-check is pending", what does that mean? It's pending what? pending review? pending investigation? in the queue and have not been looked at due to backlogs?
Is it clear to anyone? any lawyers out there?

Please share ideas,
Thanks

Originally posted by citizen2004
I thought they asked you to send them a fax. What number did you call?
Yes I faxed my info and called them up after 2 weeks of doing so, to follow up. I was told they will look for it and let me know. Within 15 minutes I got an email stating the above.