Second time J1 visa.....

urmil

Registered Users (C)
1) Is there any rule that a person cannot take a J1 visa(for second time) after he has already been on J1 visa once? Does the two year residency rule create any problems in getting the visa?

2) Has any one got an "Advisory Opionion" recently? If yes, how much time did it take? I applied 3 months ago but did not get a reply yet.

Thank you....
Urmil

1. I read somewhere in the past that between two different J-1 visa periods, there has to be a gap of atleast one year. That means, you can get second J-1 visa for a period that starts at least one year away from your previous J-1 engagement. 2-year HRR does not come into picture for getting a second J-1. However, if both of your J-1 programs are with 2-year HRR, your total HRR might become 4 years. Consult your sponsoring office.

2. Anybody else, please?

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

So, Jigesh are you saying...

So jigesh are you saying that one cannot change to clinical J-1 visa from a research visa within a year, even if he gets a waiver for the J1 research visa ?

Well, this is a gray area for me - I can't find the web URL now that said of one year gap. Also, I am not aware of the finer points involved in J-visas for medicine related areas. Waiver has nothing to do with second J-1 (and any non-iimigrant visa except H-1B) though. Rely on the information that your sponsoring organization provides - or consult an attorney. However, one year gap is not applicable to program-transfers and/or extensions.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

advisory opinion

urmil,
advisory opinion can take 2-3 months, at least that was my case last year. but you can start your waiver at the same time with the advisory opinion.
you can fax the DOS and ask them where is your advisory opinion, they generally reply to you in 1/2 weeks
you can call this number (202) 663-1225 or

You can mail or fax a copy of the entire case to Department of State, Visa Services, 2401 E Street, NW, Room L703, Washington, D.C. 20522 or 202 663-3899. On the front of the package, mark "OVER THE ESTIMATED PROCESSING TIME".

Ziad

Urmil again...Regarding second J1......

Hello Friends , thank you for your valuable information.

I have more question for second time J1 Visa....

Q1) I have seen twice that there should be a one year gap between the first and second time J1 visa. I would like to ask if anyone knows if there is really any such rule or just an assumption?

I am in the process for applying for a second J1 after a gap of 8 months. I would rather wait if there is any such rule.

Advice or opinion of people who have earlier tried for J1 twice may be definitely valuable.

Also.....
Q2) How to apply for Green Card for people on J1 visa.(non Medical programms)? How long does it take? What is the process?etc etc etc........

Thank you all...... ;) :p :p ;)

Love.......
Urmil.

I just found out from a Lawyer and also a website of a Univ. that Advisory Opinion takes about 3/4 months. This is in case some one would like to know. ( I will give my timeline when i get my advisory Opinion with exact dates). Thanks....
Urmil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Urmil,
Did you get your 2nd J1 ? Or are you asked to wait for 1 year? What aboutthe 2 year residency?
Swapneel