Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

So is the same-day oath for morning interviews at Seattle DO a confirmed deal or is it still a matter of chance? I ask because my wife wants to take the day off if it is almost certain that I will have the oath on same day. She is a teacher and has to take unpaid leave so it'd really suck if the oath did not happen on that day. I know one cannot be totally certain but it'd be good to get reassurance from the wonderful community here.

So is the same-day oath for morning interviews at Seattle DO a confirmed deal or is it still a matter of chance? I ask because my wife wants to take the day off if it is almost certain that I will have the oath on same day. She is a teacher and has to take unpaid leave so it'd really suck if the oath did not happen on that day. I know one cannot be totally certain but it'd be good to get reassurance from the wonderful community here.

Last time I was in the DO (for my wife's FP) I saw people lining up for the oath ceremony which took place around 3:00pm in the auditorium.

As Seattelite35 pointed out, it is a confirmed deal.

Alright...i got the interview letter today...the interview is scheduled for 2/4/2010..My eligibility for oath is 2/7/2010.

11/20/2009 -- NOA received (PD= 11/16/2009)
11/23/2009 -- FP notice received
12/15/2009 -- FP appointment
12/07/2009 - Received Yellow Letter.. (Just mine).
12/31/2009 -- Email mssg: "case transferred for interview"..
2/4/2010 -- Interview scheduled for both of us..

Last edited by a moderator:
Name Change

Completed the Interview today. I guess in Seattle, the oaths are weekly and only on Mondays at 2.00pm. There was a huge line even at 1.30 pm to get in. Got a bit confusing because there was the folks that were taking oaths today and those who were waiting for other things ( FP, interview etc.). But one of the security guards later separated the lines and let few of us inside the main check-in desk.

By the time I was called for my 2.00pm interview, it was 25 mins past 2 pm. Distracted me ( Because there was just way too many traffic today(?) and babies crying, people smiling etc.) didnt realize that my name was called. Once I was inside the office, the interview didnt last more than 5 minutes. I timed it. I was out by 2.33 pm. And that too because the IO was telling me that Seattle Office does not do name change. I can do it but my oath wll be next year 4th of July!! So, she asked me to go to the court and change my name. Works for me except I have to pay 140 dollars for that one. The oath is automatically next week. So I will be back in that office again on the 27th pm. All that she did was asked for my green card and drivers license. She asked me some of the questions from the application ( married once? Job change? Lived where? etc.). The 6 questions were ( Senators represents whom? What happened 9/11? Abraham Lincoln was? American Citizens can do? 13 stripes represents? WWII question). Asked me to write a basic sentence and read one too.
Interestingly, she said that my name would be whatever I had in my birth certificate during the green card application not what I have on the card now. She asked me about my wife's application and apologized for the delay. My wife is due ( for interview that is) on the 4th of August.

To be honest, it was a dull interview!! why cant I do it with Live Meeting??? :)

SunnyJ,
Did you do the name change after Naturalization in US District Court in Seattle? If so how long did it take and what is the process for that?
Thank you.

Got my citizenship today

Interview was for 10am, I reached around 9:30 and was called in at 9:50. the interview lasted 8 minutes and I was out by 10. I was applying based on marriage to US citizen so i expected it to last longer but the only docs she asked for was proof of our living together (i showed her deed to the house we purchased and it was good enough), our marriage certificate and the citizenship certificate of my wife.

She went over N-400 and then immediately jumped into civic test

Questions
  1. Who wrote declaration of independence?
  2. What is the party of current president
  3. what are 2 polical parties in the us
  4. who is commander in chief of military
  5. 3 original colonies
  6. Name one state that borders Mexico

she asked me to read "Who elects the Congress?"

and then write "The people elect the Congress"

That was it - got Oath scheduled for same day at 2pm. Oath was a very orderly process and went smoothly. 95 folks got naturalized today and the whole ceremony took about an hour.

Time since I sent the N-400 to today was less than 3 months. Was very impressed with the efficiency of the process - big kudos to USCIS and the Seattle DO.

Traffic ticket

My husband received a speeding ticket that we listed on the N400 form with a comment that we're contesting it hoping that we'll have the court hearing before our interview date. However the court date is set for a month after the interview. Currently our plan is to carry a copy of the ticket, court hearing notice and our lawyer's letter that he will be representing us. This should satisfy the IO that we're attending to the ticket, but of course the case isn't going to be resolved.

Those who have gone through interview in Seattle, can you please comment on how seriously the IOs look at the traffic ticket section and having proof of resolution? The IO would definetely know that we have an outstanding ticket because we mentioned it on the form. We have already paid $350 to the lawyer to represent us and therefore do not want to pay the ticket and have it on our driving record.

Will this work? Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thanks

K

Green card in California, Citizenship in Washington

Folks,

I have received my Green Card while working in California in 2005. I am planning to apply for a US Citizenship in 2010 but now I have moved to Seattle, Washington since 2009.

I don't quite understand this business with district offices and all that USCIS uses to process your case based on your location. What I understand is that my application will go to Phoenix, AZ. Will it cause a delay in processing given that my application was approved when I was in California I am applying for citizenship in Seattle, Washington. Delays like file or record transfer etc?

Thanks.

V

Folks,
I have received my Green Card while working in California in 2005. I am planning to apply for a US Citizenship in 2010 but now I have moved to Seattle, Washington since 2009.

I don't quite understand this business with district offices and all that USCIS uses to process your case based on your location.
Welcome to the NW.
Have a look at the Guide To Naturalization, namely page 24, section: "Time as a Resident in a
USCIS District or State". Once you've resided in the Seattle area for 3 months (and fulfill all the other LPR residency criteria) you're allowed to file. Your new residency determines to which lockbox you'll send your application.
This thread has more details & resources

What I understand is that my application will go to Phoenix, AZ.
yes; see Application for Naturalization for the up-to-date lockbox address. It has changed in the past couple of months, the address in older copies of the N400 instruction may still show the old address.

Will it cause a delay in processing given that my application was approved when I was in California I am applying for citizenship in Seattle, Washington. Delays like file or record transfer etc?
No, your residence from where you filed (and got approved) for your green card does not matter. No delays either (beyond USCIS fighting its own existing bureaucracy...)

Hello there,
N-400 sent oct 1st,2009
finger print done oct 23rd
online it says case transfered to local ofiice,and I'm still waiting since then,my local office is oakland park,fl

my question is why I haven't receive the interview letter yet?

Thank you

Any one got oath done in Seattle before their oath eligibility date?

I got interview letter 5 days before my 5 yr anniversary date.

You cannot get oath done before your eligibility - not in Seattle, not in any other DO. You will get a "Decision cannot be made at this time" and will have to wait for the oath letter in mail.

You cannot get oath done before your eligibility - not in Seattle, not in any other DO. You will get a "Decision cannot be made at this time" and will have to wait for the oath letter in mail.

I saw few posts where people mentioned that they got oath letter before 3-5 days. I think it is the discretion of IO. I plan to talk to IO on my interview if they can accomodate same day oath or get the oath date after 1 week.

Anyone know how much time usually it takes to arrive oath letter in the mail after interview.

I saw few posts where people mentioned that they got oath letter before 3-5 days. I think it is the discretion of IO. I plan to talk to IO on my interview if they can accomodate same day oath or get the oath date after 1 week.

Anyone know how much time usually it takes to arrive oath letter in the mail after interview.

The IO has no discretion in giving you your oath before your eligibility date. You can probably get an oath letter the same day, but your oath date will be on or after your eligibility date.

my N-400 journey:

I-485 AD, EB2: 04/20/05

Seattle DO
01/25/10: N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox
01/29/10: check cashed
01/29/10: PD
02/04/10: NOA received
02/08/10: FP letter received
03/01/10: FP date

my wife got oath 3 days before the 5 years anniversary..she received certificate..I didnt get the oath and had to wait for 5 year completion.

my wife got oath 3 days before the 5 years anniversary..she received certificate..I didnt get the oath and had to wait for 5 year completion.

Just a quick update, Passed Interview yesterday 3/1 at Seatte DO. My oath is schedule for 3/8 next monday as my 5 yr is on 3/7. I requested the IO to give me oath letter for 3/8.

Going for oath next monday at 2PM.

Regarding interview, IO was very professional and nice. We kind of talked informal about other things.

Did the test first, as he offered me to review the application or test which one I prefer. I said let's do the hard part first. Finished the test in about 5 min. Then went over N-400 form.

Whole process took 15 min. He told me you are done "CONGRATS". That was it..

Did late FP today 03/10 at Seatte DO/ASC as a walk-in, I couldn't make the original scheduled date (03/01). The checkin person suggested I could make an appointment and come back another day but I preferred to take my chance and wait. This is the approach the FP notice suggests: show up on any of the following Wednesdays.

Once inside, the ASC was moderately busy but I sat through a still tolerable wait time of ~1.5 hrs until they could slot me in. There were about ~8 other FP walkins and 40+ of scheduled numbers got called while I waited. The FP checkin lady would call 4-6 of the scheduled folks, then draw a couple of the walk-ins to slot them in.
Glad I brought my kindle to read while I waited, although it almost confused the security guy at the scanner...

Now let's see what my interview date turns out to be...

Just an update, I did my oath on Monday 3/8 and applied for passport on 3/9 at Seattle office.

Picked up the passport and passport card today.

Took exactly 3 month to complete the process. N400 Applied on 12/10 - passport picked up 3/10..