1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Sample letter for affidavit in place of marriage certificate for Parents

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by dallasn400guy, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. dallasn400guy

    dallasn400guy Registered Users (C)


    Being a US Citizen, I am planning to apply for GC for my parents. My Parents are from India and we don't have a registration certification for their marriage. I understand that we need to get two affidavits signed by people who have participated in their marriage and that the affidavit should be signed in front of a magistrate/notary public. Does any one have a sample affidavit? Also, do I need to get any letter from any government authority in India stating that there is no record of their marriage? Since their marriage happened more than 40 years ago, I don't think we have their marriage invitiation. Is a Marriage invitation absolutely required? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Dallas N400 Guy
  2. visaapplicant

    visaapplicant Registered Users (C)

    I have not checked USCIS info thoroughly on marriage cert. Please follow whatever they say. Here additional info from immihelp.com


    In general, marriages can be registered anytime in India by following the instructions. My parents marriage was registerd and certificate was obtained 20 years after they got married however that still was several years before we started the GC/CP process for them. I have used that marriage cert alongwith I130 petition for my father.

Share This Page