***S-corp, C-corp or LLC???

Telangana

Registered Users (C)
Hi Joef,

As a permanent resident, to start a small software consultancy company, which one is better of these three (C, S, LLC) and why? I appreciate your answers.

Thanks (expecting a little straight answer though). I probably need to go for liability protection and what else I need to look in to? Can we use the rented Apt as our primary business address? This is basically going to be a software consultancy.

> Can we use the rented Apt as our primary business address?

Beware of your local zoning regulations if you do that. If the area is zoned 'residential', they might have limitations on your commercial activities. If there are zoning regulations your commercial operation would conflict with, you might be able to apply for a waiver on the grounds that a software consultancy is not likely to have any negative impact on your residential neighbours.

As for the corporate form:
If asset protection is your primary goal, typically people would recommend a LLC. There might however be double taxation issues you would want to talk to a CPA about.

Last edited by a moderator:
>If asset protection is your primary goal, typically people would recommend a LLC. There might however be double taxation issues you would want to talk to a CPA about

I think you are confused between C-corp and LLC ...Rigid asset protection and double taxation are traits of a C-corp !

> think you are confused between C-corp and LLC

I guess when giving advice, I better stick with medicine than corporate law. As I said, there should be folks around here who do that type of thing for a living.
Thanks for pointing out my misunderstanding of the LLC concept.

Can an S corp sponser H1 visa's

Can some one please answer this questions. thans and regards in advance.

Q1: Can an S corp sponser H1 visa's.

Q2: Is Doing business in S corp is it same as doing business with C corop or LLC.

Q3: Is the only differece in the Taxes and the financial structure.

thanks
Appavi

If you meant: can I form a corporation and sponsor myself, my brother and cousin Vinnie for H1b's the answer is a clear NO.
(unless you engage into a deceptive scheme running your corporation through straw-men)

didn't quite follow you

hadron said:
If you meant: can I form a corporation and sponsor myself, my brother and cousin Vinnie for H1b's the answer is a clear NO.
(unless you engage into a deceptive scheme running your corporation through straw-men)

Hadron,

You can not start S corp unless you have a GC (PR) or citizenship. In either case sponsoring H1 for you doesn,t make sense to me. can you explain? May be i am missing something here.

thanks
Appavi

That was more regarding corporations as a whole (C, LLC, PC). At times, people here will post 'new' 'great' ideas on how to sponsor yourself if you work as a consultant.

Also, if you are a PR or citizen and own any type corporation, they get suspicious if you start to sponsor direct family members for employment based immigration benefits.

JoeF and others,

I understood from JoeF’s answer that the S-corp is eligible to sponsor H1. But I have the following questions;

1) Is there any eligibility to sponsor/transfer H1 in terms corp’s age, revenue and etc?
(I heard from a friend that you can’t sponsor at least for a year, Is it true?)
2) “Any company can, as long as the company is able to pay the salary.” Do you need to show to the CIS how you pay?
3) Assume that I have a balance 50k in the corp. The corp is offering 45k or 50k salary in a new H1. Now,
Is the company can sponsor more than one H1?
Is there any relation between the balance and no.of H1?

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks.

JoeF,

Thanks for your reply. May be I used the wrong word 'balance'. What is the reasonable revenue for a company to sponsor H1? Is 100k is ok?
I started a company early this year and have not filed tax return yet. In this case, what is the best alternative for tax return?

Thanks