1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Royalties on H1B book writing

Discussion in 'Rights of H Employees' started by Amar.nandi, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Amar.nandi

Amar.nandi New Member

Are we allowed to write books on H1B?

If no, is it because of the royalties? Can we donate the royalties, which will be small to start with, for charity work? Also, can we use publishers in other country and get paid there?
  2. Concerned4us

Concerned4us Banned

NO.

If you want to write - which is work, you must go home as you may only work for H1B sponsor.
  3. patelbaroda

patelbaroda New Member

I think, we are missing a point here. A person on H1B is able to file his own immigration if he can prove extra ordinary ability for EB1 category. If you look at USCIS website for how to prove extra ordinary ability for EB1, you will find 10 major points. Point number 3 to 7 deals with publications and commercial success of work. If these points are requirement of EB1, how can a person on H1B is not allowed to publish a book. There may be questions about royalties but in my opinion publishing a book and getting royalties are two different task. Publishing a book should not be an issue. I am not an Immigration attorney and this is my personal opinion. It is better to contact and get advice from Immigration attorney dealing in such issues.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  4. gc4meds

gc4meds New Member

Due to all the confusion surrounding regulations surrounding alternate sources of income on an H1-B, it's best to seek professional advice. The answer to your question depends upon your status (H1-B or EAD). If you also have an EAD card, you may be able to invoice the publisher using your own company. On an H1-B, it becomes hard and you could also jeopardize your Green Card application.

You could also look into co-authoring the book with someone who can accept payment.