RFE for wife for "name change"

SILENTMEMBER

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends!

I have been a Silent visitor to this site but would like to share with you the details of the RFE which I have recd.

My wife's name on her birth certificate is
XXXXYYYY ZZZZ (XXXX=first name, YYYY=suffix to first name which is commonly added like say kumari & ZZZZ=last name)

Her name on marriage Certificate is
XXXX ZZZZ i.e. YYYY does not appear as it was not on the wedding card.

Her name after marriage is totally changed i.e. first & last name both are different:
AAAA BBBB

I have got RFE to provide documentary evidence that all these 3 persons are same!

Anybody got something similar before--change of name is pretty common except for the small difference between birth & marriage certifcates?

Here's what I have done--I have sent the following to my lawyer:

1.Affidavit's from her mother which gives her names before & after marriage with date of birth & which has been notarized (i.e. XXXXYYYY ZZZZ & AAAA BBBB)
2.Copy of wedding card (Name XXXX ZZZZ) which shows her parents names as well
3.Copy of passport (Name AAAA BBBB & names of her parents on last page of passport)
4. Her school certificates which show her name as XXXXYYYY ZZZZ (The fact that she has these proves that AAAA BBBB was XXXXYYYY ZZZZ!)

Just thought I will give back to this wonderful forum even if it is because I received a RFE. Any comments?

Is there a chance that now I can get an RFE for paystubs etc after I reply to this one for my wife--I just saw a similar posting today!

My details are as below:

I-485 RD: 25th Oct 2001
ND: 3rd Dec 2001
RFE: 18th OCT 2002

Thanks

Silentmember

I am really surprised that your wife's name was totally changed after marraige .First name alwyas remains the same and technically you can not chnage without doing affidavits and all.I am sure you must have done this all before and you should send those papers.However you just renamed your wife on your own then you are in trouble.In no case first name should change without legal documentation.
In the I-485 application there is a column called OTHER NAME which is meant for spedifying maiden names or other names and at that time itself you should have attached proper documens if there was a name different from one in Passport. I don't know why your lawyer didn't point this out.This is very obvious issue.My wife didn't change even her last name because of the GC processing being in the final stage when we got married.Now after approval she intends to change it.
I think you should consult a better lawyer I don't understand how did he overlook this

One thing is that you can do is that

Go to the nearest Indian Embassy, then you explain your case to them. Then they are going to issue new passport with the new name. Also in the new passport, they will give reference to the old passport and also to old name.

This is what i did and now even Social security organisation is also accepting it.

Hope this helps you.

The above will take 2 - 4 days, to straighten your case.

Glenmd please reply

Glenmd ,
is it possible to get your passport replaced even when it is not expiring in near future........, if yes how much time it takes....which office did you go...I talked to Chicago office about and they said it would take 1 year to replace that(a couple of pages from my passport is coming off and I need it to be replaced but Chicago consulate says it would be considered as damaged and damaged one takes one year as they have to query it back to India)
Thanks

Thanks for your replies Bakshi & glenmd!

Bakshi--I had applied for my wife's passport about 8 years back & at that time, had made an affidavit for her name change as the Indian passport authorities required that--at that time I had no idea I will be coming to the USA & these complications. I do not have a copy of that affidavit now--thats my problem!

Glenmd--The situation is like this--I have been in the USA for last almost 3 years & my wife has entered here with the name after marriage (name on passport)--her H1 was approved with that name etc etc. Now if I go to Indian emabbsy & lets assume even if they issue a new passport with her name changed to what it was before marriage (again should I just change her first name or the full name?), I would need to do a lot of other formaliites like get her name changed on Bank accounts, lease agreements, drivers licence etc??? Also will the Indian embassy require any evidence to issue such a passport?

The lawyer has suggested to try & get either a marriage certificate or birth certificate with both the names--before or after marriage as well as affidavit of her mother mentioning the change of name after marriage.

Let me have your views on this.

Thanks in advance

Silentmember.

Name issue

guys, I have "name" problem and need your comments/suggestion.

All of my immigration papers have the name "Mohammed Firoz Kabir" but all employment (IAP-66, SSN card, driving lisence, etc.) related papers have the name "Firoz Kabir". Basically, my first name is not Mohammed and almost 80% peoples in my country (Bangladesh) use Md initial. I followed my passport, which has Md. initial.

I can get affidavit mentioning that both names is for one person. Also, can I change my name during interview (my I-485 has been transferred to Arlington)?

Guys, do you have any other idea to solve this problem?

till you get your green card stick with your name in passport...Once you are done with Green Card change your name as you want with American way of doing it(getting all affidavit,notary here and getting your name changhed in Social Security, lease etc)......Please Please all of you think everything before applying and provide the needed document and once you have applied for god's sake wait till the apporval don't mess with the process......Kabir, don't take it otherwise but if you do anything in the middle INS will have certainly suspicion. Follow the American way of doing things once you get GC and instead of getting affidavit from Bangladesh get it done here

Silentmember

Hi Silentmember,

I think you are in a real trouble. Even the INS receives your RFE responses, I think it may take atleast 6-12 months for you to get response for such a type of case. I know my friend in Boston whose wife name is Shanthi Murugesan where murugesan is her fathers name they came here and when he filed his I-485 he filed with Shanthi Rajkumar (Rajkumar is my friend). After filing I-485, they came to DC and made a name change to Shanthi Rajkumar. He filed his I-485 somewhere July 2000, INS has received his RFE response on Feb 2001 and they haven't got back to him still.

So better consult a good lawyer before sending any response.

Good Luck