Residency Verification

micitu

I was just curious to know if CIC actually can verify that I was physically present for 1095 days. Do they ever get to see the passports during the decision making process ? Any other supporting documents they need to
verify that residency requirements have been met ?

micitu said:
I was just curious to know if CIC actually can verify that I was physically present for 1095 days. Do they ever get to see the passports during the decision making process ? Any other supporting documents they need to
verify that residency requirements have been met ?

1095 days - I guess you are asking regarding the citizenship.

Why are you curious? Just follow the law and you have no reason for being concerned or curious.

They do not need anything from you when u apply for the citizenship. - I guess they have their own ways. They see your passports at the time of citizenship test and the oath ceremony.

Why are you asking why he is curious?
People come to fourms to ask questions without having to explain their reason for asking questions. If you don't want to answer, then don't answer. Don't tell people to follow the law. It is rude man.

majidmo said:
Why are you asking why he is curious?
People come to fourms to ask questions without having to explain their reason for asking questions. If you don't want to answer, then don't answer. Don't tell people to follow the law. It is rude man.

Don't get me wrong...Asking to follow the law is not rude. I am just trying to caution the guy...Long story short, if the truth (of misrepresentation, if any) surfaces even after a few years, the citizenship can be revoked. Therefore, what I meant was, it is not worth taking a chance.

One correction: Forums are to discuss real/genuine difficulties/questions, not to encourage fradulent discussions.

Sure it is good to be causious which I think the original poster was, otherwise he wouldn't come here and ask questions, would he? :)

fradulent? Nobody encouraged that, I just said don't assume it

If someone decides to lie, it is their own responsibility. Many people lie when they obtain citizenship of another country. I don't know about Canada yet but most countries you apply for citizenship you have to swear no matter what you will go to war for that country. Meaning if you have become a US citizen and tomorrw US enters a war with your original country, you will fight against them. I think a big percentage of people wouldn't do that.

Now tell me that if this was required for Canadian citizenship, you wouldn't swear unless you would really mean to go to war and start killing your parents and brothers and ...

I didn't want to be harsh, just to make my point.

Sure it is good to be causious which I think the original poster was, otherwise he wouldn't come here and ask questions, would he? :)

fradulent? Nobody encouraged that, I just said don't assume it

If someone decides to lie, it is their own responsibility. Many people lie when they obtain citizenship of another country. I don't know about Canada yet but most countries you apply for citizenship you have to swear no matter what you will go to war for that country. Meaning if you have become a US citizen and tomorrw US enters a war with your original country, you will fight against them. I think a big percentage of people wouldn't do that.

Now tell me that if this was required for Canadian citizenship, you wouldn't swear unless you would really mean to go to war and start killing your parents and brothers and ...

I didn't want to be harsh, just to make my point.

This is the distraction from the original point. The oath is formal affirmation of your intention whereas the misrepresentation (which I meant in my post) is hiding the facts that happened in the past. The later is considered as a fraud and the former is a binding on you.

FYI: Cdn citizenship does not require you to take any war related oath.

I wish to stop at this point.

Good luck!

Still, we haven't got an answer to the man's question. What is the procedure like, are you automatically asked to proove you meet all the requirements and if so, how can you prove that?

When I naturalised in 2000, my passport was given a cursory glance at the end of my citizenship test. I had spent 72 days outside Canada during the qualification period and I am pretty sure the CIC officer in his 5 second glance was not trying to add up the passports stamps (or lack thereof).

I would like to hear about other people's experiences in this matter as well. My wife has been in Canada since July 2004 and her 3 year requirement will be over in July of this year. We have been living here thoughout; been paying taxes, renting a house, going to school, etc. etc., basically doing everything we would normally do. However for the past 2 summers, she has gone on vacation for 3 months each (once to India, once to Europe) to visit family. After reading through countless threads and the CIC website, I still can't figure out whether or not she needs to make up for the time she spent outside. I know what the statute says but it also says something about going in front of an immigration judge if you don't fulfill the requirements on their face.

So basically, do you have to send in your passport when you apply for citizenship? If not, is there any other time when they look at your passport?

hi

hilyron

when ur going for your citizenship test they will check your passport
airport stamps....dont even think about judge hearing,the average waiting time to see a judge is between 12 to 36 months.