requirements for citizenship

Raj23

I got my GC about a month ago 01/05/02. I am living in the US from 1998 April with a H1B visa. How do I count my five year requirement to apply for citizenship ? Can I count from 1998 or should I wait for five years from when I got my GC i.e 01/05/2002 ?

JoeF, What about the Resident Since Date?

Joef,

What about the resident since data on the PR Card? It is set to the priority date which is 2.5 yrs earlier to your approval date (assuming it takes 2.5 yrs to get your approval).

I had assumed that the 5 yr count starts from that date. Is that wrong?

Thanks JoeF

Thats lousy. I had my hopes high and was looking forward for waiting 2.5 more years and then apply for my citizenship.

Now, I have to get my pictures taken again , go back to the local INS , take a token, wait forever to correct this mistake.

My wife\'s card is still to come (though we had our stamping on the same day), it will be interesting to see what they have for the \'Resident Since\' Date.

Thanks again, JoeF

No Title

The 5 years starting from approval date seems more reasonable, but it is still confusing. I know some people have priority date on GC while some others have approval date on GC. Even more confusing, a couple, who got GC at the same time, have priority date on one\'s GC and approval date on the spouse\'s GC. I also know another couple, who have priority date on their GC, applied citizenship 5 years after PRIORITY date and got citizenship approved. So I think it is purely a matter of luck and I don\'t think it is necessary to ask INS to correct the date on your GC.