Renewing Canada stamp in the passport

dev mannemela

I have been working in Canada for more than a year;
When I first entered the country, I had a one year multiple entry visa.

Now I have renewed my work permit (which was valid only
for a year) to another year.

and I want to travel abroad..

Can I renew the stamp in my passport while being in the country before I go abroad ?
or
do I *have* to go a canadian consulate abroad to renew the stamp ?

Thanks !
Dev

No Title

You may submit an application for extension of your visitor status (which would allow for your re-entry after an absence) within Canada. The Case Processing Centre in Vegreville handles such applications.

Visit your local Canadian Immigration Centre for the application materials.
________
Campbell,Cohen - attorneys at law
info@canadavisa.com
tel: (514)937-9445; fax: (514)937-2618
http://canadavisa.com

No Title

I went through this process a few months ago after obtaining an extension of my Employment Authorization through the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) office in Vegerville. I was told by CIC, however, that merely having a extended employment authorization will not allow me to reenter Canada after a visit abroad. It would only allow me to continue to stay in Canada and work for the sponsoring employer. I would need to get a new visa stamped in my passport, in order to reenter Canada and this could only be done at a Canadian consulate abroad. I got the visitor visa by mail, through the consulate in Seattle (had to send them my application & passport). The consulate in Los Angeles refused to process by mail, while I remained in Canada, but the consulate in Seattle had no problems.

Milind

No Title

Thanks for the replies, David and Milind

My lawyer sent my passport for the visa stamp renewal to the consulate in NY.

Miling, could you tell me how long did Seattle consulate take
for the renewal process ? My lawyer tells me ~ 2 weeks..

Thanks !
Dev

No Title

I don\'t remember exactly how long it took. The consulate had told me 4 weeks, but I got it quite a bit sooner than that. I also expedited things a bit by sending in my documents by courier and enclosing a prepaid return waybill for them to return by Courier.

Milind

No Title

If I come to Canada on visitor visa, how easy is to get work permit.
I have 12 years in IT industry and have close to 9 years using
RDBMS like Oracle, Sybase. I have BSc Degree + lot of diploma courses
in COmputer related field.

How long the work permit process will take? I believe I have to go
out for Work Permit processing? Is there anyway, I can get the paper
work done, while I stay in Canada on Visitor and go to the Port of
Entry and get it authorized ?

thanks,

No Title

Please see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdffiles/kits/KIT1.PDF for info on the subject. This is an application kit for extending / changing your status within Canada. In your situation, I believe you would need to go a Canadian consulate abroad to get your employment authorization and visa. I think the employer could start the processing of your authorization, while you are in Canada. Even if they could not do so, you could get an employment offer, return to your country and then have the employer process an authorization. It only takes about a month or so.

Milind